Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows License Key Incorrect & Can't Change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mountainbadger

mountainbadger

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Hello, I have a Windows 7 Professional machine that is indicating that it's running a counterfeit version of Windows.  It is still running the same version of Windows as when I bought it from Acer. When I checked the license key, it is different than the key on the tag on the machine.  There is no option to change the license key in the computer properties and I can't figure out how to fix this.  Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

Contact Microsoft via phone.

Louis

#3 mountainbadger

mountainbadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

I tried getting Microsoft to help, but they basically gave up and told me to do a clean install.  Of course, I don't have the original CD and since it's an OEM install, I can't download the .iso from Microsoft.  I called Acer and they said it's a registry problem that they can fix if I pay (it's out of warranty).  Any help with the registry fix as I'd rather not pay?  Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

The key found by a keyfinder will be different than one found on the sticker. It is a SLP key used with a SLIC table in BIOS to self-activate. The key is common on all Acer Windows 7 pro computers. 

Use Advanced Token Manager to back up your Activation Files and key. 

You can try the workaround here. Use the key on the sticker but you will need to use phone activation. If you cannot activate then restore the backup from ATM. 

Edit: It is possible to change your key in Windows 7 to the one on the sticker. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab01

Another method using the command line.

http://tweaks.com/windows/39026/change-windows-product-key-after-install/

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2016 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users