Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new computer - hard hang - no BSOD - no crash logs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mycaleshane

mycaleshane

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

OS - Windows 10 X64
New system - OS installed March 15, 2016
Full retail version of Windows 10
New system - all hardware purchased in March 2016
No re-install of Windows 10

Home built desktop system
CPU - Intel i5-6500 3.2 Ghz
Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard - Gigabyte LGA1151 GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
Power Supply - Corsair CX600M Bronze

I purchased parts for a new desktop and did the build on March 15, 2016.  Installed a retail version of Windows 10 64bit OS.  All hardware drivers that I know of are current.  

On 25 separate occasions (zip file listing critical errors attached), my computer has done a "hard hang."  Both monitors will go to a blank tan or green screen, and any audio that was playing will become buzzing.  I must hold down the power button for five seconds to get the system to shut down.

I have tried running Driver Verifier as directed, but had to fall back to a system restore point as the system would continuously loop during booting and I could never get to my Windows 10 sign in screen.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Shane

Attached Files

Edited by mycaleshane, 06 April 2016 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

The Kernel-Power errors are relatively useless without the context of the other errors surrounding them.

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F6) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 4 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

On 16 March you had a STOP 0x117 error in your nVidia video drivers.

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

In particular, we're looking for the GPU temps just before it "hangs"

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mycaleshane

mycaleshane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

Zip Admin.evtx is attached.

I have been running the CPUID HWMonitor since I built the computer.  I did a max/min reset earlier today.  Since the reset, motherboard high temps range from 28C (82F) to 32C (89F).  CPU high temps range from 27C to 30C.  Graphics high temp at 27C.

I checked the Gigabyte website for newer BIOS.  F6 is the latest version.

I checked Windows Update to see if all updates are installed.  The utility says I am completely up to date.  I have attached a small screenshot showing the Windows 10 update history.

I really appreciate this.  Thank you!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:48 AM

The Admin Event Log shows nVidia errors just prior to each of the Critical Errors.

I'd still suspect the STOP 0x117 error that I mentioned earlier (   http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532  )

Please be sure to follow the troubleshooting steps there.

Also, please try this to see if you can make the system a bit more reliable (there's other Windows errors in the Admin log that keep repeating):

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Edited by usasma, 07 April 2016 - 04:49 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mycaleshane

mycaleshane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

I have run through all of the troubleshooting steps that I could find in the link provided, and in the subsequent links within that.  I have done a complete clean reinstall of my nvidea drivers.  I have run system monitoring to track GPU and CPU temps up to failure and see no temperature spikes (or voltage spikes, or any other stat that stands out).

I have re-run the BSOD Collection App and have attached the updated zip.

I have re-run the perfmon and have attached the updated zip.

I have attached an updated Admin Events list zip.

I have attached the EVGA log in a zip.

I am not sure what else to attempt at this point.  It seems that my failures occur, at least more frequently, when the system is not being pressed.  Most often the failures occur while streaming from Amazon Prime videos, while doing nothing else on the system.  The system will still hard hang without streaming, but it happens much more frequently while streaming.

Is there a possibility that a network driver could be the issue?  I have checked the Gigabyte site for updated network drivers and I have the most recent driver installed.

Thank you!!!

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

Please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

I don't expect that it will reveal anything else, but one can never tell.

Beyond that, the next thing to try is another video card.

If you don't have one, you may want to purchase one from a shop that will let you return it (for your money back) if it's not needed.

#7 mycaleshane

mycaleshane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

Followed the directions for running Driver Verifier.

On reboot the system dislpayed DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (kl1.sys) and then attempted reboot.  I was never able to get Windows 10 to load successfully.

I disabled the both the NVIDIA network service and the Killer Network Manager and the occurrence of hard hangs has dropped significantly.  I have had one hard hang since, and that was while streaming from Amazon Prime.

Thank you for all of the help.  I will continue to work through this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users