Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"One or more network protocols are missing on this computer" - requires restart

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Skaiden

Skaiden

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

Several times a day, my laptop's WiFi connection status changes from 'Internet access' to 'No internet'. When I use 'Troubleshoot problems', I get this: "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer - Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing". Trying the 'perform repairs as administrator' fix does nothing, but restarting the computer lets me connect properly again. However, losing connectivity and restarting my computer every couple hours is getting irritating.

Earlier in the year I was getting the same message, but at that time simply restarting wouldn't fix it, I believe I needed to do either 'netsh winsock reset' or 'netsh int ip reset'. I honestly don't remember why it stopped happening, possibly changing away from Bitdefender antivirus (which fixed the BSOD problem I was having) helped. I haven't reinstalled Bitdefender, so I assume it's not that. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Some details copied over from a previous post:
· OS - Windows 10, 64-bit
· originally Windows 7
· Windows 10 installed via free upgrade
· Age of system: 2.5 years
· Age of OS installation: 6 months, have not re-installed

· System Manufacturer: Lenovo
· Exact model number: Lenovo IdeaPad U310, model name 4375

Edited by Skaiden, 05 April 2016 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

Execute my batch script to Reset TCP/IP Protocol Suite.

Posted Image

#3 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:10 AM

Thank you for this tool.

#4 Skaiden

Skaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:10 AM

Small update: it appears the disconnections only happen when I am using my commercial VPN service (which I'm pretty reluctant to give up - I'd rather deal with the restarts than Bing). I ran the batch script the last time the connection died (a couple hours ago), so we'll see if that makes any difference. Still working so far.

#5 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

May be the AV or the firewall blocking the VPN ports you are trying to use.

Edited by Bulgaristan, 07 April 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:56 AM

Thank you for this tool

Your very welcome, i'm glad to help.

Edited by FreeBooter, 07 April 2016 - 06:59 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Skaiden

Skaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:43 AM

So I had a relatively long run of no disconnecting yesterday after running the batch script, but after I put my computer to sleep for the night, it had lost Internet access by the time I started it up again. Still, that's much less frequent than before, so if it stays like this I'll be happy.

I'm using Windows Defender for firewall / antivirus right now, is there something I should do to check whether it's causing the problem? I suppose I could try turning them off before putting my computer to sleep tonight.

Edited by Skaiden, 08 April 2016 - 02:44 AM.

#8 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:39 AM

What is the Wifi network card did you tried  to install the latest  drivers?

Did you remove the Bitdefender directly from the control panel or you used a removal tool?

#9 Skaiden

Skaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

My wireless network adapter is Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200. When I check for driver software updates in Device Manager, it says it's up to date. However, when I check Intel's website, apparently there is no Windows 10 driver for this adapter (just Windows XP, 7, 8 and 8.1).

I removed Bitdefender from the control panel.

ETA: Upon further investigation, Intel lists my adapter as being compatible with Windows 10, with the sidenote that "These products support Windows 10 with Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers. In some cases the driver is only available on Windows Update." There appear to be newer driver updates available for both Windows 8 and 8.1, but I'm not sure which, if either, would be appropriate.

Edited by Skaiden, 08 April 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

You can install latest network card driver for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 the driver for these three version of Windows O/S compatible with Windows 10 O/S.

Open the Device Manager by typing devmgmt.msc into Start Menu and from Device Manager expand "Network Adapters", right click your computer network card select properties and from "Power Management" tab uncheck the check mark for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK button to apply changes.

Posted Image

#11 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

Something's not right. I've run FreeBooter's script but my TCP/IP stack apparently did not reset. In addition, before I ran FreeBooter's script, I ran the recommended Microsoft TCP/IP reset script:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

and got the following result:

Resetting Interface, OK!

Resetting Unicast Address, OK!

Resetting Neighbor, OK!

Resetting Path, OK!

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied

Resetting , OK!

Restart the computer to complete this action.

I can't be sure but I suspect from the timing of all the above problems, including mine, that an update released Tuesday is causing the problem, and Microsoft is going to have to deal with it. And somehow push a patch down to people who have lost their TCP/IP stack and can't get it back. Neat trick if they can do it.

Anybody got anything else I can try? Two days without Net access puts my business at risk.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

Make sure antivirus is not blocking the batch script disable the antivirus software before running the batch script.

My i ask where did you found the resetting failed output you post.

Posted Image

#13 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

It wasn't my antivirus or my firewall. It was the sockets.

I had to reinstall Winsock and Winsock2 to the registry from a backup. That allowed me to reset the stack and regain access.

I still don't know what caused the original problem. Does anybody know if the last Microsoft patches had anything to do with Winsock? Before I drop this on Redmond's doorstep, I need to be sure about the source. I can't determine at this point that this was a patch problem, a fault with Yahoo Mail, or possibly a hack. I'd like more information about what started all this.

#14 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

Oh, sorry. I should have added that the Netshell script came from an old Microsoft Support page; apparently these sorts of faults have been around for some time. Here it is: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

#15 Skaiden

Skaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:31 AM

So far so good with the updated network driver for me.

progan01, I started running into this problem about a week ago. Not sure if it quite lines up with an update or with when your troubles started; my update history says my last was installed Mar. 28.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users