Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video/graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

I just recently bought the game TES 4 Oblivion, ans it is very perfrormance demanding, so to be rid of lag i am upgrading my video card and RAM.

1/ what is a good amount of ram to get and how much does it cost, i only have 512 right now
2/ what is a REALLY really REALLY good graphics card. I need a good one, price is no issue, but id buy the lowest one i could find. This needs to be a stellar card, and all i kno is that i have and ati X200 and i need something better. so whats good?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

ATI

^^is this a good one^^

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

Well the start off.

That X850 is pretty good, but there's better. If price is no issue, I'd suggest 1 of these three cards, make sure you have a power supply that can handle it though. Oh, and there is no "X200" It's Radeon Xpress 200 onboard graphics. And I know what you mean that Oblivion doesn't run well with it, I treid it with my Xpress 200, lol.

X1900 XTX This card will give you really good performance, and the best image quality since it can do many things such as HDR lighting+Anti-aliasing+Anistrphics filtering all at the same tiem where no nVidia card can do that.

GeForce 7900 GTX This card will give you a little more performance than the X1900 XTX, but it doesn't have as hgih picture quality settings as the X1900 XTX

GeForce 7950 GX2 Same thing and features as the GeForce 7900 but it's literaly two underclocked 7900's for heat and stability reasons that you can use in 1 PCI-Express slot. It'l lgive you incredible performance if you only have 1 PCI-Exoress slot.

You can also buy a Crossfire (ATi's multi GPU) motherboard and have two X1900's or SLI (nVidia's mutli GPU). Soem motherboards can use two 7950's for "Quad" SLI, but from what I've heard it's not fully twaeked out yet and has a few bugs and capability problems.

You might want to check if you can upgrade your RAM, you may only have two slots and have 2x256MB sticks in them. Then you'd have ot replace them to add more RAM. 1 GB stick should go for around 80-100$. Make sure not to get cheap crap, as you get what you pay for. Corsair, or something like OCZ RAM is pretty good.

But remeber! You need a PCI-Express slot on your motherboard. You also need a good power supply, preferably something with 500 or more watts, and has a connector for a PCI-Express card. Make sure you buy the right RAM! Check what your motherboard takes and what's already in there!

It'd be more helpful if you told us your computer model, manufactuer, and soem basic specs?

Edited by protozero, 04 August 2006 - 12:59 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

Toshiba
Satellite A100/105

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TOSHIBA-ETHAN
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite A105
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1691 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.70, 3/20/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.34
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2562 (xpsp.040919-1030)"
User Name TOSHIBA-ETHAN\Ethan Lodics
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 109.52 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.03 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

now that i see the PC in PCiE i doubt that will work, or fit inside, it looks wayy to big now that i think about it.
and the purpose of htis is for excellent game performance, especially oblivion
and just found out from parents, 400$ or less, so best for that

Edited by toshibauser, 04 August 2006 - 09:22 AM.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

You got a laptop, not a desktop computer. You'll have to disregard protozero advice, it was for desktop computers. I don't believe you can upgrade the graphics on that one, so there isn't much you can do to get Oblivion to run well.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

thanks a bunch any ways guys

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:17 AM

Oh, should have said it was a labtop. The Graphics chip on labtops are intergrated into the motherboard.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

so short of a new card what else could i do to increase game performance in a lappy

#9 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:48 AM

Well, if you want to play Oblivion, nothing. I think you can add a little more RAM to labtops, but I'm not sure. Labtops aren't really good for gaming, their made for watching movies on the go, writing stuff, and more busness stuff.

Have you onsidered buying a desktop, you could get a relatively cheap one and upgrade it, or even make your own.

#10 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

so other than ebay where can i get a cheap but effective PC
and what is something good for upgrading

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

You could build one yourself... These are relitively easy to do and are cost effective... I would say 1500$ your smoking :thumbsup:

#12 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

for what its worth, id get the dell XPS 400 and pay extra for the better sound card, graphics card, and ram
that costs 1505, cause thier isnt the chance of me screwing it up or getting noncompaitable parts

Edited by toshibauser, 05 August 2006 - 05:29 PM.

#13 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

That is a good option. Plus they got a deal so it comes with a free 19inch monitor... Well I doupt free but it is included... :thumbsup:

#14 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

you get ot for 30$ wich is good to me, but by the time i get that amiunt if money, that deal will be over

#15 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't buy a Dell just yet. For gaming Intel's Net burst chips ( all the pentiums ) aren't the best for gaming. If you buy from Dell try and get their new "Core 2" computers since their quite a step u pfrom the previous ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users