Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly restarts while playing games

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chresman

Chresman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

Hey guys, I've been having some problems with my PC restarting whilst running games. This is not just high demand games, but some low demanding ones too (eg. lego harry potter, League of Legends). It simply just powers off and starts back up instantly without reason or warning.

I read through a few similar threads and noticed that the PSU was a recurring problem for others with similar problems, so I upgraded from a Corsair VS 550 to a Corsair RM 650, but the problem was still occuring.
I then figured it must be the CPU or the mobo, so i upgraded my mobo from an ASRock H81 PRO BTC to and ASRock B85M Pro3, but still no fix.
I ran memtest86 to check my ram through 12 passes over 14 hours and there was no errors found.
I have disconnected the reset switch from my case to the mobo and tried a number of other things like updating drivers. The issue still persists when i remove my GPU, and I have monitored my CPU temperatures during gameplay and they rarely exceed 45 degrees Celsius. I have tried running from different powerpoints and on different powerboards to see if that was the issue. I have done a total reinstall of windows, only installing the necessary drivers and downloading 1 game (Fallout 4). I have tested with 1 stick of RAM removed at a time. I have stress tested the CPU with Prime95, and it handled the tests fine. None of these things have been conclusive and I'm not sure what step to take next. Please help!

Build Specs
CPU - Intel i5 4690
GPU - EVGA GTX970 ACX 2.0
Mobo - ASRock B85M Pro 3
PSU - Corsair RM 650
RAM - Patriot DDR3 1600 2x4GB
OS - Windows 8.1
HDD - 1TB Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 7200rpm
SSD - Samsung 120GB 840BW EVO
Case - Coolermaster RC-K282 mid tower

Thanks in advance,
Chresman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

Please monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Normally desktop temps shouldn't exceed:
CPU - 60ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

In most cases, when you have a problem gaming, it's often related to the video card (GPU).

Which test did you run in Prime95?  The Blend test mostly tests RAM, while the Small FFT's and Large FFT's are more stressful on the CPU cache and memory controller (on the CPU in the i5/i7's)

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Chresman

Chresman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:51 PM

Hi usasma,

The issue occurs even with my GPU removed, so that rules that out. I've monitored my temps and none of them are getting as high as what you listed.

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

In response to part 1, the first link didn't work, so i started to follow the steps in the second link. I had no problems creating the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip, but when I followed the perfmon steps, i got an error (An error occured while attempting to generate the report.) I looked it up and found a manual way to access the report, however I can not find a way to save this report so I can post it.

I will attach the event viewer log to this post that you requested in part 2.

Thanks for taking your time to help.

Regards,
Chresman

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:55 AM

Don't worry about the perfmon report - I rarely use it.

Please zip up and upload the results of the SysnativeFileColletionApp folder

I can't find any patterns in the Admin log file.

That means one of several things:

- it's a hardware error that's not seen by Windows

- there's a report that's not collected in the Admin log

- I missed seeing a pattern (I don't think that I did miss this, but it is a possibility).

So, the next step is the SysnativeFileCollectionApp - as it has more information than the Admin logfile.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Chresman

Chresman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

No problem, I'll have it attached here.

I also ran a Large FFT test in Prime95 yesterday which resulted in CPU temps of around 100 degrees celcius, which it stayed at for an hour or so before restarting.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:09 AM

I'm late for work, but CPU temps that high mean that you have to investigate your cooling solution immediately:

- ensure that there is adequate thermal compound between the CPU and it's cooler (but not too much)

- ensure that the cooler is free of dirt/dust/hariballs/etc

- ensure that the cooler fan is working and is blowing cooler air into the cooler

- ensure that nothings blowing hot air into the cooler fan

I'll try to get to the reports later on today - but it may not be until tomorrow AM

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P1.40) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 8 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems have 180 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
Don't worry about the specific number, it's just important that you have checked and installed any updates that were available (and didn't experience any errors).

You have a Belkin USB wireless adapter:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

PCI Simple Communications Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C3A&SUBSYS_8C3A1849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B0    The drivers for this device are not installed.
SM Bus Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C22&SUBSYS_8C221849&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FB    The drivers for this device are not installed.

Both are likely a part of your Intel chipset drivers.  Please download and install the latest version available from the AsRock support website for your motherboard.

#8 Chresman

Chresman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:24 AM

I can't find any more recent UEFI/BIOS updates, not to say that there isn't any, but checking the asrock website doesn't show any updates at all for my particular mobo. Whilst waiting for your reply i used the cd that came with my mobo to reinstall all the drivers, which fixed the SM Bus Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller issues.

Would updating to windows 10 now have the same effect as installing all the windows updates?

I've also checked (and reapplied) the thermal compound, which hasn't changed the temps that I'm getting from stress testing my pc, I'll look at buying an after market cooler and see if that helps, but the CPU temp doesn't get above 70 degrees c whilst playing games, so I don't know that it would be that causing it?

I'll also purchase a pci/pcie card and toss out the belkin usb wireless adapter, it was only meant to be temporary anyways (whoops). I'll try running the game without the belkin adapter plugged in.

Thankyou for taking the time with all this, I really appreciate it!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

Installing from the CD is better than nothing, but without updates there's no telling where the problem lies.

Try this page:  http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M%20Pro3/?cat=Download&os=Win8a64

Install the INF driver, and also install the 3 different Intel driver packages (the Management Engine, the Rapid Start, and the Smart Connect)

Install the stuff from the Driver section - not from the Utilities section.

Don't invest in a new cooler unless you're unable to bring the temps down otherwise.

The factory cooler is good for most circumstances.

My concern over the temps was to see why the system was shutting down - not over the actual temps.

Updating to W10 would have the same effect - but then you're stuck with getting all the W10 updates (admittedly, there are only about 10-15 of them).

I don't suggest an update to W10 on a system that's having problems.  You may end up losing all your stuff and still not be able to boot to W10 or recover to W8 without wiping the system.

If you're able, make sure you backup all of your stuff.  That way if you're going to W10 or a reinstall of W8, you can do it without worrying about losing stuff.

After that (and the drivers), I'd try:

- DISM/SFC

- then a REFRESH

Here's how I suggest doing DISM/SFC:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

#10 Chresman

Chresman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

My data was already backed up as i'd done a total reinstall of windows earlier, so i upgraded to W10, and installed all those drivers (I clicked back to the windows 10 supported ones instead of the ones you linked). I then did the DISM/SFC, which came back with no problems, and I tested it after this and was still getting restarts. I then refreshed my system, and the issue is still there.

I'm going to try disconnecting my GPU again and see if it's still restarting without that in it, as maybe it was a combination of issues such as a corruption of data somewhere as well as an issue with my GPU.

Is there any more tests I can run to see if there's an issue with my CPU/GPU?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

This is a confusing problem.  I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for suggestions from the experts there:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Beyond that, the only idea that i have is to try a new GPU (but that's just a guess - don't buy a new one unless you can get your money back if you return it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users