Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stuck in blue screen/start up repair loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Highwalker

Highwalker

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hi there,
Yesterday I was watching a video on my laptop when a terrible grinding noise, like a disk stuck in a drive, started blasting out and the computer froze. It was a terrible sound so I unplugged the laptop.
Now, when I turn it on I am taken through the start up repair but none of the restore options or diagnostic scans work. I am just brought back here when the laptop resets. If I try to boot in safe mode or via a usb the laptop blue screens.
I can boot asus express cloud but when I try to open the OS from there it blue screens too.
I am looking for a way to get back into my computer. Any help is much appreciated.
I am using an ASUS 64 bit laptop that runs windows 7. If any further information is needed please let me know. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Victor_Senior

Victor_Senior

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

It appears like your OS malfunctioned. Try installing another bootable OS immediately the blue screen appears. I recommend a  different version of OS from the one you are using.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

Create a bootable disk of a live linux disk. Download Fatdog64Fatdog64-702.iso . Burn the iso to CD or use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. When at the Fatdog64 laptop you will see your disk partitions labeled sda1...sda2...etc depending on the number of partitions on your hard drive. For Windows 7 you would normally have two partitions. Click once on one of the sdaX icons. For Windows 7 your Windows partition is most likely sda2 but with the Asus express cloud it could be something else. The partition will mount and a File Manager will open. 

If you do not see your files/folders then close out the File Manager and click once on another icon. When you see your files attach a USB flash drive or external drive. You see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager window will open. Left click and drag until both windows are side by side. You can left click and drag a corner to resize the windows.

Highlight your files/folders by holding Ctrl + left clicking. You can also select by left clicking and dragging a window around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted files/folders from your hard drive partition window to the USB flash drive window. A small dialog box will open. Select copy and click the quiet box. After copying your files see if you can open some to determine if the copy operation was successful. You only need to click once on a folder to open it using Fatdog.

Once you get your data I would recommend you do a disk diagnostic using another bootable disk. On the disk are HDD utilities to check your drive. Try Seatools for DOS first. Do the short and long tests. If that does not detect your drives then at the UBCD menu select Parted Magic. At the desktop double click DiskHealth and run the short/long tests.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 April 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#4 Highwalker

Highwalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. It turns out I had the wrong windows files on the usb. With the correct files I was able to boot from the Usb and reinstall windows.
Thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:22 AM

Frankly...I would be concerned about the audible noise.  I've not heard of any file or O/S problem producing audible effects.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users