Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop hangs at random times

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ice Cracker

Ice Cracker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:06 PM

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160223-1728)
  • System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  • System Model: G750JM
  • BIOS: G750JM.205
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
  • Memory: 12288MB RAM

Laptop started freezing up randomly a couple days ago. No idea what's causing it and my google-fu isn't strong enough to fix this. Here are some things I've noticed:

• Whenever it freezes, basically everything stops working but being able to move the cursor around. I can't even open task manager, cause clicking on the toolbar gives me the rotating blue circle thing (I miss the hourglass). If I try to open the task manager with Ctrl+Alt+del, it hangs on a blue screen that says "preparing security options" or something like that. Only way to recover at this point is to hold down my power button on the case until it turns off, and then turn it back on.
  • If I have task manager open when the freezing starts, I've noticed that disk usage as a percentage jumps to 50% and sticks there, but all the processes drop to 0.0 MB/s.
  • If I unplug my mouse when it starts freezing, and then plug it back in, it won't start working again.
  • The one time I've gotten Event Log to work after restarting from a freeze, there were system logs that said "something\something\DR1 has bad blocks", but I ran chkdsk :X /f on my D: (platter-type drive, non-OS partition) and F: (SSD) with no errors. I then ran it on C: (physically the same drive as D:, but a separate partition with the OS and a couple other programs on it) by running the command and then accepting the restart and letting it run before the boot up, again no errors. Every other time I've tried to open Event Viewer it's been blank, I get some error about "MMC snap-in not responding" and the freezing has started shortly thereafter.

I've ran malware bytes twice and haven't found anything. All signs point to some problem with my hard drive (or so I think) but I'm not really sure what exactly/if it can be recovered. I know back in my days of having an IBM 486 there was a way to tell the computer to basically avoid bad sectors on disks and stop trying to use them, but I dunno if that's a thing anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Ice Cracker, on 05 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:Ice Cracker, on 05 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:Ice Cracker, on 05 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:

... there were system logs that said "something\something\DR1 has bad blocks",

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test on all internal HDDs - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Ice Cracker, on 05 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:Ice Cracker, on 05 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:Ice Cracker, on 05 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:

All signs point to some problem with my hard drive (or so I think) but I'm not really sure what exactly/if it can be recovered. I know back in my days of having an IBM 486 there was a way to tell the computer to basically avoid bad sectors on disks and stop trying to use them, but I dunno if that's a thing anymore.

chkdsk is supposed to mark bad sectors if executed with the /f or /r parameter. However, in my opinion, once a HDD contains bad sectors, it is best to just replace the HDD.

I agree with you -- it does sound like there is an issue with the hard drive.

Let's see what SeaTools for DOS has to say.

If SeaTools comes back clean for some reason, run RAM diagnostics next.

Run memtest86+ one RAM stick at a time; alternate the slots so that each stick is tested in each slot.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

If both HDD + RAM come back clean, I'll then have to direct you to our hardware experts for follow-up.

I do not believe that your problems are software related.

On a side note, be sure to check your SSD manufacturer's support site for a firmware upgrade.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 05 April 2016 - 08:42 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users