Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only one drive will function at a time on my IDE controller card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

I wanted to make use of my old IDE disk drives, so I bought a controller card from eBay that featured 1 IDE slot and 3 SATA slots. If I connect the DVD drive and the CD drive, only the CD drive works. If I connect the DVD drive on its own it works fine, regardless of whether it uses the master or slave end. Both drive are set to cable select. I have the VIA driver for the card.

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

VIA VT6421 from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251099619053?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Diamond Data IDE CD drive

LG CD/DVD IDE drive

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

The seller specifies that it allows for 2 IDE drives, but does not allow RAID or booting from drives connected to the card. Interesting considering that I thought this card was designed specifically for RAID, not that it matters to me.

Thanks.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

check bios settings

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

check bios settings

The drives connected to the card don't get recognised in BIOS, that's why they can't be booted from.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

My first thought would be to see if the drives will co-operate jumpered as either combination of master/slave.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

My first thought would be to see if the drives will co-operate jumpered as either combination of master/slave.

Well there you go. Apparently the card also doesn't support cable select. I jumpered them as master and slave and they both work. Thanks.

By the way, are there any benefits of using the dedicated CD drive over the combo drives? CD only drives are faster aren't they?

Edited by Karzahni, 05 April 2016 - 11:08 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

Is it a cable select cable? i.e. 80 wire, or 40 wire with one wire cut?

Speed of the drives depends on what generation they were, CD only might be faster for data, but not necessarily. For a burner, slower could be better for writing good quality CDs.

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:44 AM

It's 40 wire, I believe the one that was in the old PC that the 2 drives came from. Perhaps only the DVD drive worked in the old PC, because we never used the CD drive once the DVD drive was added.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:56 AM

That's feasible. If the cable was the one previously utilised by the drives, and it has no disconnection of line 28 to make it cable select, then it was presumably just never noticed that only one drive functioned.

#9 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:51 AM

That's feasible. If the cable was the one previously utilised by the drives, and it has no disconnection of line 28 to make it cable select, then it was presumably just never noticed that only one drive functioned.

Actually, it showed up in My Computer on the old PC. I definitely remember it having 2 disk drives there. I have one other 40 wire cable, on the Pioneer drive in another PC, but the cable should be the same one that was on the Pioneer in the PC it came from before that. Maybe they were jumpered differently? The LG was on master when I installed it, but I had been messing with it prior to using it, and was trying different jumper settings because I was having trouble booting from it. (Wasn't the drive's fault, it was the disk)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users