Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stop BUFFERING of FLASH and HTML5 videos in all browsers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anniyan

anniyan

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

i am using a metered internet connection and hence i want to conserve bandwidth wherever and as much as possible. my questions are:

1. i know that, enabling click-to-play-plugin in firefox and chrome prevents playing of flash videos as and when needed. does it stop buffering of flash videos as and when needed?

2. how can i enable click-to-play-plugin in other browsers?

3. how can i enable click-to-play for HTML5 videos so as to stop their buffering AS WELL AS playing as and when needed.

4. i use this addon for firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-flash-video-player

to force youtube to render videos in flash format, so that i can use the click-to-play-plugin functionality to block their buffering as well as playing as and when needed.

5. facebook recently switched its videos' format from 'adobe flash' to 'HTML5'. it offers a setting in settings -> videos -> turn autoplay off. but this setting just disables automatic playing of 'HTML5' videos and not their auto-buffering. this wastes my bandwidth. how can i overcome this?

on this note, i would like to share my view on 'HTML5' videos. everyone say that it is superior to 'adobe flash' technology because no plugin is required to play 'HTML5' videos and hence no vulnerabilities are involved. but why did the W3C design 'HTML5' videos without the ability to stop the auto-buffering and auto-playing of them. this is such a serious nuisance that remains unsolved. in this aspect 'adobe flash' is better.

Become a BleepingComputer fan on Facebook
Have you seen.....Select Real Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

You're fighting a losing battle because Flash is pretty much obsolete at this point. Soon you won't be able to use it at all. I can't comment on your problem because my usage limit is high enough already so there's no problem. All ISPs have tiered levels these days so you have to find the right level for you. 

#3 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

i am not totally for or against any of the 2 technologies. i just want to conserve my bandwidth and stop this nuisance. any help would be really appreciated. thanks in advance :)

Edited by anniyan, 06 April 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

Maybe your current tier isn't adequate. That's not the solution you want but it may be the only solution.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

Question2
In chrome, go into the settings, go down to the bottom into the more advanced settings, look under the "content settings" button, go down to plugins in the box that pops up, set plugins so none of them run except on your approval (I can't remember the exact name of this setting right now as I'm typing from a system without chrome on it, but it's one of three choices, it isn't the "recommended" one and it isn't the "allow all plugins" option.). After doing this save the settings. In future you'll have to right click on any plugin and choose the option to run before it can. This will save you VAST amounts of bandwidth.

Another thing you might want to consider is using noscript within firefox, this is an excellent security add-on but it also has side effects of blocking adverts (which saves bandwidth) and blocking any other "fancy" content unless you choose to allow it. On most pages you visit you only need text and images, this is what noscript lets through, anything else you want, such as videos on video pages, you manually allow. This will mean your bandwidth only gets used for text and images (not very bandwidth hungry) except when you want to play a video and you deliberately choose to allow it. With noscript in use no buffering or any other downloading of video related content will occur except in instances where you choose to have it. This applies whether the videos are html5 or flash or any other kind.

Edited by rp88, 06 April 2016 - 01:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

@rp88

i have already enabled click-to-run-plugin in firefox and chrome, but dont know how to do it only in other browsers. anyways thanks a lot.

as per your advice, i have installed NOSCRIPT in firefox. but i dont know how to configure it to block flash videos and HTML5 videos. can you share your expertise on this? btw, does it have a chrome counterpart?

#7 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

can anyone help, please?

#8 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

Maybe your current tier isn't adequate. That's not the solution you want but it may be the only solution.

apart from the solution to my internet usage, i simply dont want something to run in my PC without my permission...add to it, it eats up enormous bandwidth. :(

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

post 6, you shouldn't need to "configure" noscript to do this. It should be blocking by default everything but images and text. When there is something you WANT to LET THROUGH then you use "temporarily allow example.com" to let through the sites the wanted content is coming from but you don't allow other things (like advertising domains). You can access it's settings y clicking on the noscript icon in the top bar in firefox then "options...". There are guides online about what sort of settings you cna use here but default is usually fine. If not try removing any facebook related stuff from the default whitelist, there is a default whitelist of sites most people let through but except the greyed out ones (things critical to browser function) you can remove items from this if you don't want those domains running things.

"i simply dont want something to run in my PC without my permission"
With noscript NOTHING happens without your permission.

Edited by rp88, 10 April 2016 - 01:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users