Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista not booting up - upgrade/reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bn2

bn2

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

I have what seems to be a common ish VISTA windows start up problem

I have a very old VISTA PC and now when I try to start it it enters a loop of saying its updating windows stage 3 then restarts itself again and again.

I see there have been various threads on this eg

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/latest-vista-update-stuck-in-stage-3restart-loop/2f70b13c-9db4-4bf9-90ee-7ca63a809973?auth=1

But I think they seem to mostly assume ownership of an installation Windows VISTA CD/DVD - I don't have one.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what version of VISTA I have either.

Is there anything that can be done - I can't seem to start safe mode either.

I'm ot a big tech but I've heard of things that can be done by pressing F2 or F8 to break out of the start up and get some options.

Are any of these useful ? I did press F8 repeatedly during the reboot and got the options and tried all of them that looks potentially useful without success ie

1) safe rebooting (with DOS prompt) 2) last good configuration 3) disable automatic reboot on system failure 4) Directory Services Restore Mode

but none of these made any difference to the rebooting/upgrade loop.

It is an old PC and not my main one but it'd be good to get it up to check there are no useful files I've not saved elsewhere.

many thanks in advance for any help - sorry to revisit an old chestnut

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:42 AM

Hi,  :)

I hope I am not too late to help you.

If you didn't already try this, try doing a system restore to a point before the loop started, hopefully windows created a restore point right before doing this update, if not, just select the most recent one, which is probably the only one that comes up when doing a system restore using this method. Try bringing up the Advanced Boot Options menu, select safe mode with command prompt and type in...

rstrui.exe

The command prompt should have brought you to the system32 folder which is where the rstrui.exe is located, in which case all you need to do is type in the above .exe and hit enter then follow the prompts to do the system restore. If not, you will probably need to type in...

windows\system32\rstrui.exe

This worked for me when I was stuck at the "configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 42% completed" screen earlier today.

I had 9 updates fail when that happened and now I just have to figure out how to do those updates without ending back in the same place, which if you get this to work for you, is what you will have to figure out too.  I have read that when others have been stuck in this place, when doing different updates, they were able to avoid this problem from recurring by installing the updates one by one. I hope that works for me too, don't know what else to try.

Good luck to you

Edited by Stang777, 15 April 2016 - 01:47 AM.

#3 bn2

bn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:10 AM

hi Stang777

thanks every so much for your help and apologies for not getting back earlier - I'd thought the situation might be hopeless since there were no replies and parked it though it'd be nice to fix it if possible.

hope you're still tuning in ..

Advanced Boot Options is pbtained by hitting F8 repeatedly during boot up isn't it ?

I'll check tonight but I think I've tried that and picked all options including safe mode with command prompt and nothing stops it going into the attempting to update/reboot cycle.

I saw some other thread where there were suggestions for fixing once you got a command prompt and a few weeks ago I tried quite hard to get one without success

thanks again

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

Hi, :)

You are welcome and there is no need to apologize, I understand delays.

Yes, you should be able to get there by hitting F8 repeatedly as soon as the puter starts to boot up. Sometimes it is hard to time it right so I just start hitting it as soon as there is activity on the screen and don't stop until the boot options come up, or something else does, in your case the screen you are looped into, that makes it obvious it is past the point of that being an option.

If it doesn't get you to the boot option screen, reboot and try again.

If you get to the boot screen, and don't have that option, post back with what options are available to you. I cannot imagine that you do not have the command prompt option, but it is possible.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Edited by Stang777, 28 April 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#5 bn2

bn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:00 AM

thanks, Stang777,

I have got the advanced boot options by hitting F8 thanks

I'm not sure any work  - I tried the safe mode with dos last night and it started to load up drivers then went straight back to rebooting in its cycle .. again

I did think I tried most of the options a few weeks ago

these are the F8 advanced boot options I get with vista thanks - I think Ive tried most of them before thanks for your help

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640×480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
Start Windows Normally

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

Because you do not have an install disk and cannot access any of the Advanced Recovery Options I would try the following.

Download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. It is normally used for scanning for viruses but it has a File Manager and Registry Editor that allows you to access your Windows files offline and also to edit your registry outside of Windows.

Before deleting the two registry keys that were posted in your link I would use the File Manager to browse to the following location.

c:\windows\winsxs

Look for a file named pending.xml and right click it, renaming it to pending.old. Reboot the computer.

The other option is to remove the disk and attach it to another computer either internally to a desktop or by using a USB enclosure/adapter to rename the pending.xml file.

You can either create a bootable CD by right clicking the iso on a Windows 7 and later computer and selection Boot Disk Image or by using Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:28 AM

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to get to system restore that way. I am out of ideas but the suggestion by John C sounds like a good one to try.

Good Luck

#8 bn2

bn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:19 AM

thanks John and Stang

I've downloaded the disk and saved to a usb - I've used F2 on the affected PC to get change boot options to boot from the usb but it says "an operating system wasn't found" when I try.

how do I boot from the disk - the kaspersky link you provide says "Boot your computer from Kaspersky Rescue Disk in graphic mode"

I'm sorry I don't understand what is graphic mode ?

many thanks again - I hope to have more time to sort this now at the weekend with your great help - wife and son away ! if not I'll make time next week

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

Graphic mode is the one you want. The other is command line mode. 

After downloading the iso file use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run Rufus, make sure your flash drive is listed. Use MBR partition scheme with BIOS or UEFI and leave all boxes as shown checked. At the FreeDos dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file of Kaspersky. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased. 

Attach the flash drive and press F2 to select your boot device.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

When you get to the Kaspersky Desktop you can select File Manager.

650x253ximage155.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

If you have access to another working computer, you can make a Vista disc.  Follow the instructions in this article to make an ISO then burn to disc or make a bootable USB.  The only problem is the author wasn't able to slipstream Service Pack 2.  Maybe John or Stang knows a way to do this.

[Edit]

Last time I checked, only the alternate download links in the article were working.

Edited by Agouti, 07 May 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

Slipstreaming SP2 into Vista is not as easy as XP but if you can create a Vista SP1 disk I believe you can still use it to do a System Restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users