Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimizing performance on AMD system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barginski

Barginski

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hello all,

I'm looking for possible ways to improve gaming performance of my PC. I mostly run train simulators (from a few different vendors), and the more content on the screen, the harder it is on the system. I can usually run a 100 car train through mountainous territory, and view the entire train and surrounding scenery with detail sliders set in the high range (most maxed out) and achieve FPS in the mid 20's-low 30's. My system specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 (64-bit)

AMD FX-8320 processor

AMD R9-270x video card

ASUS M5A99x EVO 2.0 motherboard

8 GB Kingston DDR3 ram

1TB HDD

232 GB SSD

I try to defrag when I see the fragmentation get to about 2 or 3%. (I never defrag the SSD). Should I be defragging sooner? I am running Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes Pro (Paid version), and CCleaner, all of which monitor system activity to some extent. I am also usually connected to the net and running Kaspersky's firewall while gaming. I haven't really tried disabling these and disconnecting from the net; would doing that while gaming likely yield a significant performance increase?

I know my mobo and OS will both support an additional 8 GB of RAM to bring system total up to 16 GB. At least one of the games I run is 64-bit, and has 8GB RAM as the recommended amount. Would this 8 extra GB of ram likely improve frame rates?

Any other suggestions or input is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Barginski, 05 April 2016 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

8GB RAM is typically enough for most games these days. Are you running the sim of the SSD or a HDD? I'm not a huge fan of security suites like KIS, but to each their own. If you are using CCleaner, make sure to never use the registry cleaner option.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Barginski

Barginski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

I am running the sim on the HDD... Because the minimum space required is listed as 30 GB, but with additional content it can grow far beyond that, and since my OS is loaded on the SSD (which is down to 80 GB space), I don't want to cut things short. And I never mess with the registry.  I only use CCleaner to remove junk such as temp internet files and cookies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users