Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Ubuntu Image May be Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Earlier this morning I accepted an update for the latest image for Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit. It was a much slower

than normal download and I debated whether to stop it or not. Wish I had as it caused a serious problem after

installing. Though it seemed to install okay....after using it for several minutes....mouse and keyboard were deactivated.

I had to do a hard shut down. Repeated boot....a few minutes later...had to do another hard shutdown.

During next boot I choose to boot to the previous image and all seems to working okay after many minutes.

Just thought I should alert others to the problem. If you haven't accepted the update...especially in the USA...then

I would suggest waiting a day or two. I am going to remove the image and wait for the next one...not going to take

the chance of the latest to cause a problem.

I do recall this happened once before almost 2 years ago with another very slow download of Ubuntu 14.04.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

Interesting... thanks for the heads up!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Could this be the same thing that happened to linux mint? What is the file hash?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

Wasn't what happened to Mint on the actual .ISO file that you downloaded? This seems like it is one of the updates form the software updater that is causing issues. Though...  Buddy does say that it is for the latest image... so maybe you are right CC.

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Apologies for digging this one up, but I was curious if there was any more to this...I update my Ubuntu partition (14.04/64 bit)

once a week, and theres a 60MB security update I didn't apply yet.  I was about to, then remembered this topic. 

One part of the update does say "Generic Image" if that means anything.

Earlier this morning I accepted an update for the latest image for Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#6 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,412 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

Doing a bit of searching to find others experiencing the same problem I had....I found none.

So, I think it is most likely you will have no difficulty with the update.

I solved my problem by booting into the previous image and then removing the latest....as stated in my first post.

I'm not blaming Ubuntu for the problem. I just don't know what caused the corruption and will wait for the next image update release.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

I just ran updates on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine and had no problems.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,245 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

@buddy, can you name the package? is it this one "Generic Image" 66Batmobile mentioned?

I have updating issues and even freezes of all system functions sometimes.  I then run a clamav scan on home directory > reboot > and all is fine afterwords.  This happens to me often enough.  If I'm on unfamiliar sites without a script-blocker or incognito will have problems.  If I stick to sites I know, far less problems.  I won't claim to know what is happening but this always fixes it, and there are always Windows Browser Infections present, like these below, all in Google-chrome default cache.  Give it a try next time you have issues.  As I understand it, if you used a previous "image" the same Update will eventually come through again, if in fact the Update was the issue.  This might also be easily fixed by cleaning the cache, but when I do that I loose stuff that makes browsing easier.  So for now I'll just do what works.

.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/f_036437   PUA.Html.Exploit.CVE_2015_1692-1 

.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/f_03649f   PUA.Html.Trojan.Agent-37075 

Edited by pcpunk, 13 April 2016 - 02:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,412 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

If what you are finding in your Google Chrome cache files is accurate.....then you should be cleaning that cache out

every day. Firefox allows that each time you exit Firefox. I think Chrome doesn't have that feature.

I would suggest you check in your Home Folder for suspicious items.

I've used Ubuntu for 8 years and have never seen what you describe. Never used any security program either except

for NoScript.

look thru your add-ons in Chrome for anything that you have not intentionally installed and do a search to find out

if any of the add-ons you installed are known to include adware or are ad supported.

My problem was solved the same day it occurred. It was simply a corrupt download. It only took minutes to solve.

Like I have said earlier....I will simply use the image I have now until the next one is released. Hardly a month goes by

without that happening.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,245 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

Understood buddy, it seems you are saying you had a corrupt Update for some reason.  My system is all fine, those files were Deleted.  It's just the title of this thread confused me, and your opening statement:

Earlier this morning I accepted an update for the latest image for Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit. 

The term "image" for this didn't make sense to me.  I usually refer to these as "System Updates".  I will take note of this comment below as it will get me out of trouble if the same thing should occur to me.

During next boot I choose to boot to the previous image and all seems to working okay after many minutes.

:thumbup2:

Edited by pcpunk, 14 April 2016 - 11:01 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:24 AM

CVE_2015_1692

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 through 11 allows user-assisted remote attackers to read the clipboard contents via crafted web script, aka "Internet Explorer Clipboard Information Disclosure Vulnerability.

Edited by NickAu, 15 April 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:55 AM

@buddy, can you name the package? is it this one "Generic Image" 66Batmobile mentioned?

I have updating issues and even freezes of all system functions sometimes.  I then run a clamav scan on home directory > reboot > and all is fine afterwords.  This happens to me often enough.  If I'm on unfamiliar sites without a script-blocker or incognito will have problems.  If I stick to sites I know, far less problems.  I won't claim to know what is happening but this always fixes it, and there are always Windows Browser Infections present, like these below, all in Google-chrome default cache.  Give it a try next time you have issues.  As I understand it, if you used a previous "image" the same Update will eventually come through again, if in fact the Update was the issue.  This might also be easily fixed by cleaning the cache, but when I do that I loose stuff that makes browsing easier.  So for now I'll just do what works.

.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/f_036437   PUA.Html.Exploit.CVE_2015_1692-1 

.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/f_03649f   PUA.Html.Trojan.Agent-37075 

pcpunk, you can add the Click & Clean extension to Google Chrome (Settings > Extensions > Get more Extensions & type Click and Clean) & those will be cleaned just by a couple of clicks. First, click on the red 'C' at the top, click Clear Private Data, empty the Cache & then Securely Close Browser, this cleans things up well. This can be added to Firefox also, though as buddy215 pointed out, there's an option in Firefox settings to clear the cache when closing the browser, under Options > Privacy > History. The option is at the very bottom of History, just place a check in it & you're set. You can then choose what you want cleared when the browser closes, no need for a 3rd party extension for this. 

If you do these things, chances are that ClamTK will have nothing to catch, as most all are browser items & when done properly, will be purged of these. Though sometimes, downloaded items may still be flagged. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users