Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery charging very slowly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xTeChN0

xTeChN0

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:19 AM

Hello!

I recently bought a new battery for my laptop. Since then it is charging very slowly. About 3-4% in an hour. Last battery charged a lot faster. Old battery was 4400 mAh and new ones lable says it is 5200 mAh. I was hoping someone can help me to understand what is going on here. When I charge this battery Aida64 says that charge rate is 725000 mW which seems to be very high. Also from Aida64 and BatteryInfoView it shows full charged capacity 48840 mWh and designed capacity 48840 mWh. It is a Lithium Ion based battery by COMPAL PABAS0241231 serial number 41167. The battery holds charge pretty well, but charging time is very long. Last battery died on about 95% when my laptop suddenly turned off and wouldn´t start without the charger connected. This new battery has an indicator of its own which shows how much it has charged and it seems that windows battery indicator is showing right charge percetage.

Laptop specs:

Samsung NP350V5C A01EE

Processor i3 2370M @ 2,40GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

Motherboard Samsung Electronics CO. LTD. NP350V5C-A01RR

Windows 10 version 10.0.10586.0

Battery lable says it is 5200 mAh and 10,8V.

Charger input 100-240V 1,5A 50-60Hz and output 19V 3,16A

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P10AAL, 04.07.2013

Question is why is it charging slowly and what could I do to fix it or troubleshoot? Updating BIOS? Calibrating battery? How to do those things? Or it might be faulty charger? 

I attached a Piroforms Speccy report just in case.

Attached Files

Edited by xTeChN0, 05 April 2016 - 05:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:31 AM

An update: Right now it suddenly dropped from about 40% charge to 8% and says that battery level too low and connect a charger. Aida64 and BatteryInfoView now show wear level 10%. Designed capacity 48840 mWh and full charged capacity 43956 mWh.

#3 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

Try calbirating it? also can you take a photo of the battery on the top n bottom please?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#4 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

Attached a picture of my new battery. I will try calibrating it yes, because it is probably the only thing I know i can do right now. I´m charging it right now and probably will let it to discharge tomorrow. It has now been charging for 6h 30min and it got from 14% to 90%.

Attached Files

#5 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Forgot to add picture from top. I couldn´t take it off from a laptop for this picture, because it was charging.

Attached Files

#6 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

thanks

#7 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Calibrating — or recalibrating, really, as the battery was calibrated in the past when the battery had more capacity — involves letting the battery run from 100% capacity straight down to almost dead, then charging it back to full. The battery’s power meter will then see how long the battery lasts and get a much more accurate idea of how much capacity the battery has left.

Some laptop manufacturers include utilities that will calibrate the battery for you. These tools will usually just make sure your laptop has a full battery, disable power management settings, and allow the battery to run to empty so the battery’s internal circuitry can get an idea of how long the battery lasts. Check your laptop manufacturer’s website for information on using any utilities they provide.

You should also look at your laptop’s manual or help files. Each manufacturer may recommend a slightly different calibration procedure or tool to ensure your laptop’s battery is properly calibrated. Some manufacturers may even recommend against doing this. Apple says its newer laptops don’t require this calibration procedure, although older models do.

650x507xmsi-battery-calibration.png.page

How to Manually Calibrate a Battery

While it’s a good idea to use any included utilities or just follow instructions specific to your laptop, you can also perform battery calibration without any specialized tools. The basic process is simple:

• Charge your laptop’s battery to full — that’s 100%.
  • Let the battery rest for at least two hours, leaving the computer plugged in. This will ensure that the battery is cool and not still hot from the charging process. You’re free to use your computer normally while it’s plugged in.
  • Go into your computer’s power management settings and set it to automatically sleep or hibernate at 5% battery.

650x564xhibernate-at-low-battery.png.pag

• Pull the power plug and leave your computer discharging until it automatically sleeps or hibernates. You can keep using your computer normally while this happens.

(Note: If you want to calibrate the battery while you aren’t using the computer, be sure your computer isn’t set to automatically sleep, hibernate, or turn its display off while idle. If your computer automatically enters power-saving mode while you’re away, it will save power and won’t discharge properly.)

650x509xdisable-sleep-and-display-power-

• Allow your computer to sit for five hours or so after it automatically shuts down.
  • Plug your computer back into the outlet and charge it back up to 100%. You can keep using your computer normally.
  • Ensure any power management settings are set to their normal values. For example, you probably want your computer to automatically power off the display and then go to sleep when you’re not using it to save battery power.

650x509xpower-plan-settings.png.pagespee

#8 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

Thank you. I will try doing that as soon as it is fully charged. It´s been 7 hours and it´s still not fully charged. But can it be the cause of very long charging? The battery charge indicator on top of it show nearly the same charge as does windows indicator and battery light doesnt turn green also for a long time.

And one more thing. If my battery label says it is 5200mAh and 10,8V then battery capacity is 5200x10,8=56160mWh, but different battery monitoring software shows that it is 48840mWA (which is basically a 4400mAh battery's value) then is it a software fault or the battery manufacturer is just lying on the label? I understand it is a probably a knock off not a genuine battery, but still...And the wear level suddenly becoming 10% after using it for 1 day...

#9 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

RELATED ARTICLE

If you’re taking proper care of your laptop’s battery, you should be allowing it to discharge somewhat before plugging it back in and topping it off. You shouldn’t be allowing your laptop’s battery to die completely or even get extremely low each time you use it. Performing regular top-up will extend your battery’s life.

However, this sort of behavior can confuse the laptop’s battery meter. No matter how well you take care of the battery, its capacity will still decrease as a result of unavoidable factors like typical usage, age, and heat. If the battery isn’t allowed to run from 100% down to 0% occasionally, the battery’s power meter won’t know how much juice is actually in the battery.

#10 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:56 PM

Thank you for your help bc0306! I tried calibrating, but it didn´t help and I had this battery replaced in the shop where they gave me a bigger one and without extra charge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users