Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade CPU and HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 destry.stevens

destry.stevens

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

Hey Guys,

I am attempting to breath some new life into an older machine that I have. It is an

HP Pavilion g7-1077nr Notebook PC

It is currently running on an Intel Pentium P6200 and 8Gb of RAM. I want to upgrade to a SSD or SSHD and swap out the processor. Any ideas on what processor I should go for that will swap right out. I also am looking to simply clone my current OS drive to the new ssd or sshd to save some funds and not have to reinstall my OS. I looked into it a little and it seems that the Core i7 640M seems to be the best I can find that will swap out to the same socket and architecture.

Any and all opinions are welcome and helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

Notebook PC

It's not possible to upgrade a laptop CPU typically. A SSD swap should be possible though.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 destry.stevens

destry.stevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

I thought that also. However, when I looked up the specs on the P6200, one of the only pros it had was that it was easily replaceable.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:44 AM

Why I said usually lol. I am still unsure whether it would be worth it to upgrade the CPU rather than finding a replacement used laptop.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users