Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Fails to Successfully Start after a Series of Events

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teamplus

teamplus

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

Current Problem: System fails boot in Windows 7 following series of scans and tools ran.

Problems began after running Combofix

Prior to my running of Combofix the system was very slow, always high memory and cpu use (much due to only 2 gig memory and number of programs running).  I also had occasions where when writing email the characters would disappear after being typed in and continue to delete text.  Also the system was set up with the c: drive ssd as the operating system only, and additional partitions/drive as program and data drives.  Over the last several months those additional program and data drives would power down and sleep during use and have to wake up quite often. I thought was unusual behavior.

History of bleeping computer support from Trojans,Viruses.  (see postings) Have been referred to this area for help

Ran ComboFix then sought help from Bleeping

I ran combo fix before doing my research -  following which I could not open explorer, kaspersky, control panel etc.  I am using Chrome browser on Windows 7.  When the combofix ran it did indicate that it set a restore point.

At this point the computer currently was still booting fully fine into win 7 not just by using safe mode.  It connects to the internet, many programs run but cannot open some dialog windows such as explorer, control panel, kaspersky to name a few.

Booted using Last Known Good Configeration

After booting into LKGC the problems still extisted -  box stated "no such interface supported"

Attempted to run FRST

Tried to run frst again from the run box but get the following "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to assess the item".

Attempted Repair Computer

As the computer is starting, continue tapping F8 as before and select Repair your computer option.

Ran System Restore

Started the windows 7 recovery-environment and tried to run system restore from there.  Choose a restore point that is more than 7 days old!  It says "no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive.  To create a restore point open system protection.

Ran Tweaking Windows Repair all in one

Ran in safe mode.  I ran the prescan - pkg files ok, environ. variables ok, but had missing default reparse point.  I attempted to use the fix reparse button but a "runtime error" box came up then exited out of the program.  I tried twice.

Repair process 07 out of 43 - repair Internet Explorer.  System Hung here.  I opened up one of the many txt files in the log (open log folder for current job).  Specifically the repair_internet_explorer.txt file where the repair seemed to hang.  The following was all that appeared in that text file:
system cannot find the batch label specified 

Download & Ran Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit using the following "LastRegBack: 2016-03-11 04:15" in a fixlist.txt placed in the same folder as the Farbar recovery scan tool.

Exporer, control panel, kaspersky all opening and system appears much better.

Downloaded Farbar Service Scanner and created Restore Point.

FRST ran without issue

Removed traces of 2012 true image software which was preventing installation of 2016 true image.  
My system had portions of Acronis True Image remaining from the 2012 suite.  I upgraded to 2016 in order to properly image/backup the current c: drive which is ssd.  I had difficulty removing all traces of 2012 which prevented the 2016 installation but finally done and backed up.

Then ran backup of c: drive using true image

Ran Security Check 
Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA
Ran AdwCleaner

Was asked to run both Malaware and AdwCleaner again this time making repairs/removals on AdwClean

Ran Mbar again

I ran the mbar again with no malware found and was going to save the txt file to my flash drive to move it to my laptop to post, however, my system would not recognize the flash drive so I re-booted.  Upon reboot it failed and requested to do a startup repair which failed.  This computer box is currently opened so I check the drive cables and found one of the ssd drives cables was not making good connection.  I corrected that re-booted but with same results.

Tried "last known good configuration"

I tried last known good config. and it just reboots again to the startup screen.  Each time I hit f8 the LKGC it cycles back to reboot.  From safe mode, it shows some of the normal list of files loading during boot then go blank reverts to the windows startup repair box.  The startup repair tool says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".  Shows no restore points have been created on computer system drive.  - which I did for sure do.

Started Windows 7 Recovery Environment

Startup Repair- but could not repair

Edited by teamplus, 04 April 2016 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

I'd post over in the malware forums to see if they can help with recovery from ComboFix

This appears to be the most likely place:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/anti-virus-anti-malware-and-privacy-software/

If they can't help, then my suggestion is to:

- backup your stuff

- reinstall W7 "clean":  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 teamplus

teamplus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

I appreciate your reply.  The malware forum is who had worked with me on the issues but determined that in his opinion from the tools ran and after reviewing the reports, I was not infected and suggested I post here.  

I have a specific windows repair question.  I have booted from my win 7 cd - Repair your Computer - System Recovery Options. Here it locates my win 7 OS and my question is the location/path listed next to the OS found is the path it shows it located on my driver, correct? It is not the location of where it is being installed from (being the cd/dvd drive)?

The reason I ask this is that it lists the location as being the D drive which should be my dvd drive.  My OS is supposed to be C. Some of the steps I have taken during this attempted recovery such as the systems inability to find the path..

"windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file", and "system cannot find the batch label specified" or "no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive", suggests to me the possibility that the system is having trouble recognizing the correct OS drive path.

As another note, every once in a while the Startup repair states that it could not detect a problem but when system restarts it still will not load Windows and fails to conclude the startup repair.  Additionally, after stating that Startup Repair could not detect a problem and, when I click on "view diagnostic repair details" it shows the windows directory as d:\windows not c.  Obviously the dvd drive could be residing at C but I understood that the system drive was always set based upon the installation unless otherwise changed allowing the drive to adapt changes.  Also please note that the view diagnostic repair path of d:\windows is shown regardless of whether the dvd drive is turned on or off during the attempted startup.

Edited by teamplus, 05 April 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

The drive letter can change depending on where Windows is loading from.

If you're attempting to rebuild the boot structures, I'm afraid that I can't be of any help there.

You should probably post over in the Windows 7 forums for help with that.

My suggestion is that, once you've backed up your stuff, you should install Windows.

You can just run the installer normally, or you can delete all partitions and then run the installer normally.

Edited by usasma, 05 April 2016 - 12:05 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 teamplus

teamplus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Thank you for your help and assistance.

Edited by teamplus, 05 April 2016 - 03:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users