Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc wont power off completely

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

Remember those old beige computers that you had to power off manually after shutting down windows?, well my computer is acting like that, when i power down my computer windows will shut down after that the screen goes bleak and moments later the screen reports no signal, but on the computer you can clearly see it's still powered on, no hdd activity just the power light, then I have to force shut it holding the power button for 5 seconds until it powers off, I need help this is bothering me!😤

Specs
2 GB ram
Intel core 2 duo @3.0 GHZ
GIGABYTE GT 730
300 GB HDD
Asus P5n-E SLI

Attached File  WP_20160404_21_37_40_Pro.jpg   45.83KB   0 downloadsAttached File  WP_20160404_21_37_44_Pro.jpg   33.86KB   0 downloadsAttached File  WP_20160404_21_37_48_Pro.jpg   53.1KB   0 downloads

Don't even think about it if your not sure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:18 PM

Quite often this can be solved by clearing the CMOS memory.

Unplug the tower power completely and then hold down the power button for 10 seconds to drain any stored electricity.

Open up the case and remove the CMOS battery with a small flathead screwdriver, looks like this

cmos.jpg

Wait 10 minutes and then replace the battery.

Does the problem persist?

#3 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

I just recently took the battery out and left it without it since the battery doesn't work anymore because its from 2007, and I constantly leave my computer disconnected from the power outlet so we can rule out bios? I guess...

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:05 AM

If you left the battery out, then that is likely the issue (if not a motherboard issue). The system needs the battery to retain system date, time, and boot settings. Without it your system clock will be incorrect (unless you set it every time). This will cause problems with the operating system.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

Ok I will post back details when I buy a new battery