Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Loading On Shared Hosting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wektech

wektech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have a shared hosting account with a provider that shall remain nameless at this point. My question has to do with server loading. The Server loading shows between 6 and 12 (4 cpu's). This is while it is working correctly. I have noticed that the server side activities such as pop3, webmail, ftp etc become somewhat slow when loading is in the 10 range. From what I have read an apache server should be kept below 2% (per cpu?) in order to operate with a reasonable quality of service. I am starting to suspect that my continuing problems with this host is that they can not keep their server loads under control. I see daily problem with intermittent loss or severe slow down of pop3, ftp, and c-panel services. What is a reasonable figure to work with regarding server load?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

It depends on the individual server as to what it can take and function correctly under what load levels. Several factors are taken into account when calculating load averages. CPU usage, avalable memory, processes running, etc..

#3 wektech

wektech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

Thank You for your response! I have done some more investigation, and see that whenever my service slows down to a point where I consider the service levels degraded, the CPU load is showing more than 20%. I see this problem often throughout the day. Memory is usually sitting at somewhere between 15 and 20% regardless of service quality. I have also noticed that the non boot drive is sitting at over 80% capacity. The service status often shows a exim service is down. This all leads me to believe, I need a new web host.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

This a windows or linux server?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users