Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Datasafe Local Backup not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 titilashae

titilashae

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:30 PM

Hi - I'm really hoping someone here can help me. 

First - I know nothing about computers - my usual fix for comp related issues is restarting it, and beyond that, I'm clueless.

Yesterday morning my Dell XPS started freezing up - any file or window I opened would get stuck.  I can't remember exactly what happened, but I think I may have either shut it down or just turned it off and tried to restart.  When it was starting back up, it wouldn't finish the process.  I tried the different options the computer suggested - finding a solution to the problem, starting in safe mode, etc.  It said there was an issue found, but it couldn't determine what it was and it would not start in safe mode.

Then I tried doing a startup repair - did not work, cannot remember why.  Tried system restore, but it said there was no earlier point in time or something like that.  Tried system image recovery, but I never created a system image earlier.  That is when I tried the Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup.  It scanned my computer for new files since last back up - which was a couple years ago - then asked where I wanted to save the files, which I picked somewhere on the C drive.  Then it started doing the emergency file & folder backup - this started at 1 pm yesterday and was completing 1% every 2-3 hours.  Today it got to 10% around 12pm and has been stuck there ever since.  I'm guessing it's not going to work, but there is no option to stop it.  Should I turn the computer off to stop it?  Will I definitely lose my files then?

I don't care if I am not able to use this computer ever again, I just desperately need my files and folders off of it.  Does anyone know what I can do to save them? 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

I recommend turning the computer completely off.  It's quite possible the rescue process is overwriting more and more of your data folders and files, then again, maybe data is not being overwritten.

Second, you're going to have to find a local computer guru/computer place that you trust [I'm talking business-oriented, not just retail] who can create Puppy Linux usb and/or dvd boot with the necessary power to copy your data folders and files onto any trusted usb-connected external media, preferably a 1TB-2TB platter-driven hard-drive.  I hope you can tell this guru where you saved most if not all of your data folders and files, guru time will not be cheap.

If you have a second computer connected to the internet, you can have this guru bring his/her tools [hardware & software] and do the magic in your house. or, embark on crash courses to learn how to create Puppy Linux stuff, crash courses on Windows recovery [or reinstall] after crash courses in using something similar to Macrium Reflect [free or fee] to make data backups.   If you don't have a second computer, or don't have access to a second computer, I'm not sure any solutions can be offered from here.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 April 2016 - 08:53 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 titilashae

titilashae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

Thank you for responding.  :( This sounds awful!  I will try to get a guru to save my files - don't really care what it costs because I'm at the end of my semester in school and everything I've been working on for the last 3 months is on there. 

Thanks again!

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for responding.  :( This sounds awful!  I will try to get a guru to save my files - don't really care what it costs because I'm at the end of my semester in school and everything I've been working on for the last 3 months is on there.    Thanks again!

Make sure you hire a true-blue business-oriented no-nonsense data-saving computer guru; these are not as many in number as the number of those who think they are data-saving gurus.  Am I one?  No, I'm a beginner; I'm just beginning to not only appreciate backups but also beginning to embark to get started in software-level data recovery.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

If you have access to another computer you can see if your files are still there by booting a live linux disk as RolandJS posted.

Using a live linux disk nothing is written to the disk. Everything runs from RAM and the CD. I would recommend you download an iso of Fatdog64. You can burn the iso file by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Fatdog64-702.iso

If a CD is not available you can use a spare USB flash drive and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Attach the flash drive. Run Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is listed. Leave all boxes as checked. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select isoimage. Click on the small icon and browse to the FatDog64 iso file you downloaded. 

Attach the flash drive and tap F12 as you boot the computer. Select the flash drive as your boot device. When you get to the Fatdog desktop you will see your hard drive partitions labeled sda1..sda2... depending on how many partitions are on the drive. Click once on a sdaX icon. It will mount and a File Manager will open showing the files in the partition. You only need to click once on folders to open them. 

If you see your files close out FatDog and either take it to the person to recover your files or I can post instructions on copying files to an attached external or flash drive. This would at least get you the most important files you need.

Note: If you do not feel comfortable doing the above then take it to a good shop as RolandJS posted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#6 titilashae

titilashae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Thank you both for your feedback!  I don't think I'd be able to do anything mentioned here.  I would probably just make things worse.  A coworker highly recommended a data recovery person that he went to for a similar issue, I'm dropping it off tomorrow.  Hopefully he'll be able to save my files! 

Thank you both again for your help, I appreciate it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users