Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Being a real newbie to Mint is lookingglass something I need to use?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

The title pretty much says it.

http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.com/2012/12/linux-mint-14-review-mint-with-touch-of_11.html 

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2016 - 01:06 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

That page appears to have been deleted or never to have existed.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Since Looking Glass is no longer supported, I guess that it is something you do not need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

Chris Cosgrove

I have to admit to some confusion. Seeing your post the link indeed does not exist.  Ok 1 question if it doesn't or did exist before where did I copy the link from.????

I came across the page in a general search about lookinglass.  Really doesn't matter since the project was canceled.

The thing that really confused me was how many different responses to the same query string gave nearly totally different answers.

Most were about 3 D rendering of desktops.  The link I posted says it is a diagnostic tool ????

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

Chris Cosgrove

I have to admit to some confusion. Seeing your post the link indeed does not exist.  Ok 1 question if it doesn't or did exist before where did I copy the link from.????

I came across the page in a general search about lookinglass.  Really doesn't matter since the project was canceled.

The thing that really confused me was how many different responses to the same query string gave nearly totally different answers.

Most were about 3 D rendering of desktops.  The link I posted says it is a diagnostic tool ????

There are other dead links to the project as well;

http://lg3d.dev.java.net/files/documents/1833/149353/LG3D-Overview.pdf

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

unsolicited-but-offered---mozilla-firefo

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

Yeah lookingglass was just an experiment, though some of its ideas did make it into the main desktops such as some of its effects.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:37 AM

It's my guess that Compiz, very popular, which has been a part of Linux Mint since the 17.1 release, is the official replacement for Looking Glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Many Linux Mint users were delighted about the inclusion of Compiz, and will likely be a mainstay for years. That is, until something better comes along. :)

You know, I've ran Mint for close to 7 years now, since Mint 7 or Gloria release, and never seen the Looking Glass the first time. Though I did skip a few versions altogether, ran Mint 7 through 9, skipped 10, did install 11 but shortly went with 12, then 13 LTS, skipped 14 & 15 entirely, went for 16 for the new features, many became part of 17 LTS & am now at 17.3. Though for awhile, stuck with 17.1 because the kernel didn't support the cpufreq app on 17.2 or .3, finally support was added, so am able to run the latest. 

Had I not clean installed the notebook that my wife uses, would had never known that cpufreq finally works properly again with 17.3. I do know that upgrading kernels to the latest possible ones (4.3) causes it not to work. Another thing that I noticed on the notebook, proprietary nVidia drivers were offered for the first time for the GeForce GT 425M & the latest was recommended. The only one that said 'open source' were the Nouveau drivers, the rest didn't list that in bold blue. Oddly, on my main PC, though have added the 'official' PPA for the latest proprietary drivers, it still shows these as open source. 

Am hopeful that Mint 18 will finally offer proprietary drivers for the nVidia GTX series of GPU's, it's well overdue & will save many Mint users a lot of trouble. Plus this will save from adding a PPA, some of which comes & goes. This may be why my screen is a but wobbly, because am not using full proprietary drivers. 

They know that their user base depends on the team's efforts, and that's why I'm hopeful for the proprietary drivers, as well as Mint 18 booting into a more natural resolution, when I installed both 17 & 17.1, it was like a huge 800x600 monitor. and there wasn't a single driver listed to solve the issue. 

Cat   

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

My only reason for continuing this is to try to prove the old man has not gone over the edge. LOL  My link worked when I first posted it [i checked] before I posted it.

The link came from this web search.  https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=looking+glass+for+linux about # 10 thereabouts.

Lets see if this works this time lol

">http://mfCUReQ.png  

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

In the link you posted in the OP, this: %C2%A0 appears after html.

Remove %C2%A0 from the url and it works fine:

http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/linux-mint-14-review-mint-with-touch-of_11.html

This is the link that you posted in the OP:

[url=http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.com/2012/12/linux-mint-14-review-mint-with-touch-of_11.html ]http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.com/2012/12/linux-mint-14-review-mint-with-touch-of_11.html [/url]
[/quote]
I'm not sure why %C2%A0 appears in it when you click on it, but guess it might have something to do with the space you left between html and the bracket that follows:
html ]

Edited by Al1000, 05 April 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

I find that interesting in itself.  Why does my copy and paste not render out at BC as I copy itfrom the address bar in my browser.

I just dbl click the address it high ligts the entire address, rick click copy and then rigt click past it in my reply.

Maybe I need to use a differnt method here at BC.  This works on every other forum I go to.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

FWIW:  I removed formatting, took a copy of the URL, did a search and it works for me:  http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.com/2012/12/linux-mint-14-review-mint-with-touch-of_11.html#!/2012/12/linux-mint-14-review-mint-with-touch-of_11.html .

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

Interesting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic