Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD kernel data inpage error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hrgwgrd

Hrgwgrd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hello,
I keep getting bsod with the same "kernel data inpage error" problem since sunday. I've tried chkdsk but everytime it loads up it cancels itself automatically. I couldnt find any dump files event the memory.dmp and minidumps in any of the specified folders(i followed the procedures properly but nothing showed up), even downloaded window's debugging tool to look for them.

I use a window 7 home premium OS on a dell inspiron N5110 laptop that's been operating without any hardware changes nor OS changes(like reinstalling OS or factory reset) for 6 years now.

Currently right now i cant run any diagnostics as my computer seems to be stuck in safe mode loading screen still loading windows files for a while now (it's up to where CLASSPNP.SYS is and it's been staying there since). Did i made a mistake of loading up safe mode after prompting cmd(in normal mode) again to chkdsk then restart? The light on my computer does blink occasionally though so something is definitely running. (Im typing this on mobile)

I want to restart my computer but i fear i may futher cause more damage. should i let the process continue or do a restart? Do i still have a chance to save my files?

I never had any malware problems as of late(all my antivirus results turned out clean, however there are times where my avira antivirus has given me its own errors trying to update) however hardware problems are becoming more apparent but didnt cause much problems until now. The only changes i've made were software changes mainly just updating java and removing the pesky win10 notification and its files before leaving for a one week trip.

The most i can provide is a camera shot of the bsod

Please and thank you!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hi. . .

The bugcheck for KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR is 0x7a (which does appear in your screenshot); P2 of the bugcheck (the second parameter or number inside the parenthesis of the  bugcheck/STOP error) in your screenshot is 0xc000009d, which translates to STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED.

Typically, a 0x7a bugcheck BSOD indicates a problem with the hard drive.  0x7a means that a requested page of kernel data from the page file could not be read into RAM. 

Coupling 0x7a + 0xc9d P2 tells us that the system [at least momentarily] was unable to communicate with the OS partition of the HDD.

Bottom line here is that it is very likely that your HDD is failing.

It is too early to say whether or not you'll be able to retrieve files from the HDD.

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

SeaTools for DOS is DOS-based (DOS operating system), meaning that Windows does not load during the diagnostic test. You boot the system from the SeaTools CD  that you'll be creating, then run the  SeaTools LONG test. You may have to change BIOS settings to tell your system to boot from the CD/DVD drive first -- before booting from the HDD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 04 April 2016 - 08:08 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 Hrgwgrd

Hrgwgrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

Safe mode safely loaded after that point although the chkdsk process stalled at 11% of the 4th stage for more than 12 hours. I dont have a recovery disc nor installation disc(never given any when i bought my laptop) though i can still boot up my computer normally before bsod strikes again in a few hours more or less(i dont see it happen much in safe mode although i do get error msgs of programs crashing instead of bsods with the same codes, happens when i try to load image thumbnails in windows explorer, mainly problem with image thumbnails).

I can do a clean boot can i?

Im not very tech savvy especially when it comes to hardware

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 981 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

You need to run the SeaTools for DOS, LONG test to run the HDD (hard drive) diagnostic test.

There's no point in doing anything else until this diagnostic test is done.

You boot from the SeaTools CD that you'll be creating (burning the SeaTools ISO to a CD). You may need to change the BIOS boot order so that the system boots from the DVD drive first -- before the HDD.

The SeaTools test is DOS-based (DOS operating system), meaning that Windows does not load, so there is no chance of a BSOD occurring.

OEMs (System Manufacturers) have not included Windows discs since the days of XP. According to your owners manual, you're supposed to burn a recovery disc when the system is new.

If you need a recovery disc, you can likely purchase one from the OEM, usually for about $30.

Replacement media - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/3716-oem-microsoft-windows-replacement-media-os-dvds.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 05 April 2016 - 02:33 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 Hrgwgrd

Hrgwgrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

Mounted the tool on a disc, tried loading it up on the affected computer but suddenly its cd drive stops reading anything. I tested it with other cds and even dvds but it only makes reading sounds for a while before returning empty, both in normal mode and safe mode. On my other working laptop, they worked fine.

Usb still works on both modes as i used one to save important personal files, so i need to mount the iso on a new/unused usb dont i?

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 981 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

Yes, create a bootable USB stick if having problems with the DVD drive. I've never done so myself, but assume it will work.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users