Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek PCIE Memory Card Reader causes 80%+ CPU in System and Compressed Memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 s3nr1

s3nr1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

Hi,

I have an HP DV4 Laptop(i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) that came with Windows 7, I recently updated to Win10. Everything seems fine except of the high CPU usage in System and Compressed memory.

I narrowed it down to the Realtek Memory Card reader. I should also mention that right after the Win10 update two Realtek Memory Card Reader entries were in Device Manager with yellow exclamation icons. 

I deleted them and had Windows install the drivers from Windows updates, after that everything LOOKS fine. And there's only one entry now.

After a while I noticed the fan making a lot of noise, wasn't like that in Win7.

Anyway, after hours of troubleshooting I eventually came back to the Realtek reader, sure enough after disabling it CPU went to normal.

I have also downloaded the newest driver from realtek site. Same problem.

Memory usage is normal too, it's only the CPU that spikes.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Edited by s3nr1, 04 April 2016 - 01:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

If by memory cards you mean SD type cards then this would be a fudge but would stop the problem occurring most of the time.

As most of us only read memory cards now and again, why not disable these readers until such time as you need them ?  Enable them while you use the card(s) and then disable them again.

I admit - a fudge, and if anybody comes up with a more technically correct solution then go with it !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

I agree with Chris Cosgrove here.

You've done everything (software wise) to fix this and it hasn't worked.

If you don't want to leave it disabled, then the next step is to replace the card reader to see if that helps.

They're relatively inexpensive (from a quick Google Shopping search), but you'll have to search for the exact model to get a more accurate price.

Then comes the trouble of installing it

Most techs will charge an hour or two of labor to open up the case, and another hour or two to put it back together.

The actual installation doesn't take much time at all - but it needs to be tested before giving it back to you.

If you're technically able to disassemble the laptop, then you can save a bunch of money by doing it yourself.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users