Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a new cloud backup solution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Developer
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

I have been a CrashPlan user for 3 years now and my current subscription is about to expire. In general I am happy with CrashPlan and I would most like continue to subscribe if it wasn't such a huge pain to pay for it if you don't own a Credit Card. So before I go through the trouble of begging friends of mine to use their card again, I was wondering if one of you guys maybe knows a different service, that would fit my needs.

My needs in general are simple:

• Complete zero knowledge. Meaning the backup provider at no point in time has access to my encryption key and will only ever see encrypted data
  • Access to past versions of all backed up files of at least the past year
  • Possibility to pay via PayPal, GiroPay, Wire Transfer, or pretty much anything that isn't a credit card
  • Nice to have: Ability to sync files/data between devices (Windows PC and Android smartphone)

Best regards,

Fabian Wosar [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

In addition to a very good cloud service, may I suggest a [secondary] backup plan for your [primary] backup plan?

Secondary -- have a couple of usb-connected pancake platter-clatter HDs [1TB or larger], Macrium Reflect [free or fee] or Acronis true Image are just two of many very good utilities, at least bi-monthly if not weekly, make at least one if not two full images of both your OS partition and your data partition onto at least one if not two external HDs.  That way, if the Cloud rains, you have a backup of your backup.  

Edited by RolandJS, 04 April 2016 - 01:13 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Topic Starter

• Security Developer
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

I am not a big believer in system imaging as it interferes with my full disk encryption. I do have a separate local back up stored on NAS. The cloud backup is just in case the house burns down or I get raided ;)

Edited by Fabian Wosar, 04 April 2016 - 01:44 PM.

Best regards,

Fabian Wosar [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

I am not a big believer in system imaging as it interferes with my full disk encryption...

Tell me more!  I did not know such things can interfere with disk encryption.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users