Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outdoors Wifi Access Point recommendation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

Hi

I need to put a wifi access point onto the side of a house to extend wifi 30-40 metres down a garden to a summer house.

The BT Hub 5 it will be connected to is just inside the house so it will be a short cable run.  I was thinking about one of these as they get good reviews.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-LOCOM2-NanoStation-Loco-Networking/dp/B004EGI3CI but I have also been told they are more for point to point wifi rather than a stand alone access point.

Can anyone recommend a product that will be suitable?  Its just to give access to a couple of iPads, iphones, laptops etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:49 PM

Unifi Outdoor AP

I have set these up several indoor models at large facilities they have great range. They are rated up to 600ft (182m).

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 April 2016 - 11:53 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:37 AM

Unifi Outdoor AP

I have set these up several indoor models at large facilities they have great range. They are rated up to 600ft (182m).

Thanks for that.  I posted on the Ubiquiti forum and one concern that arose was the ability of the receiving device to talk back to the AP over greater distances.  Its likely the devices used will be a iPhone 6 and an iPad 4.  The concern was that their wifi range is not that great and whilst it may see the network over a good distance it wont be able to talk back to it.  I hadnt considered this.  Did you have any smart phones or tablets connecting to it and how did they get on?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

"The concern was that their wifi range is not that great and whilst it may see the network over a good distance it wont be able to talk back to it."

This is not how wifi works.  This is also why you have a wifi strength indicator in the form of 4-5 bars. If you have a good connection to the device the distance does not matter. 

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yes there are lots of mobile devices that connect along with Laptops. Our installations are using multiple access points so I have not tested an individual AP to the max distance yet. That being said it may be better to use a set of Power line adapters and install the access point in the summer house. We did this for an Insurance company that had their business offices on the same property as the house. As long as the two are on the same Electrical service (Panel) you can use the power line adapters to Connect the Access point to the router. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:55 AM

thanks for the updates.

Im pretty sure there will be an issue with smart phones and a directional or omni antenna talking back over large distances.  As I understand it they may pick up the signal over a long range but they still have to talk back to the device so it will be a limiting factor.

I am going to see if I Can get a cat 5 cable to the summer house and put the extender in there.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:35 AM

Make sure you get Outdoor Rated Cable.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Make sure you get Outdoor Rated Cable.

Thanks, Ill get the electrician to sort it but yes, thanks for the tip.  There may be an underground feed Im not sure.  Just waiting to hear back from him.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

You couldn't use any underground feed since it would be for electrical and as such you can't have network cable next to power wiring. Cable should be in plastic conduit so you don't need outdoor rated which is for lines exposed to the elements/uv

Edited by Wand3r3r, 10 April 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#10 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for that advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users