Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quadruple-boot help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:17 AM

This is in the Win7 forum because Win7 will be the main OS.

I want to quadruple-boot Windows 98 SE, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 (different games like different OSes)

To simplify this, I was planning to use GAG to manage them all, unless someone can suggest a better bootloader. The OSes will be installed on either of my 2 drives. (7, XP and 10 on the SSD; 98 on the HDD) Windows XP requires MBR, so I will be going with this for all drives. Windows 98 requires hyper-threading to be off and IDE emulation. Should I need to switch these on or off each time I go from Win98 and back again?

I have 7 now, and I was planning to install 98, (referring to this guide http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41065 ) then GAG, then XP, then 10. Is there anything I should be aware of first?

Note: If Win7 is installed with GPT, I will need to reinstall 7 as well, and so I may not start doing this for a while. If it is however MBR already then I can go ahead right away.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Every multiboot situation that I've seen involving different versions of Windows...goes smoothly if the oldest version is installed first, with all others installed in date-order.

I know nothing about GAG, so I will move this to Internal Hardware, where someone will know more than I can contribute :).

Louis

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

Every multiboot situation that I've seen involving different versions of Windows...goes smoothly if the oldest version is installed first, with all others installed in date-order.

I know nothing about GAG, so I will move this to Internal Hardware, where someone will know more than I can contribute :).

Louis

Okay, thanks.

I just checked, and my drives are both MBR. That will save a lot of bother.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

I normally use grub...but another thing you may consider instead of quad boot is running them inside a virtual box?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

I normally use grub...but another thing you may consider instead of quad boot is running them inside a virtual box?

I thought it would be cool...

But 10 will definitely need to be on physical hardware for Forza 6 Apex. XP isn't really necessary (for Fallout 3), but I thought I'd do it anyway. 98 could be run on a VM if I wanted. So I could just dual-boot 7 and 10.

But if this is possible without unreasonable effort, then I'm happy to go ahead and give myself a project. I'll try out installing Win98 in a VM first, using that guide I mentioned, just to be sure I know what I'm doing when I come to install it on physical hardware.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

I was just curious, if you want a quadruble boot it really shouldn't be difficult, I've done it before using mostly Linux distro, I don't imagine it would be any different with Windows.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

I was just curious, if you want a quadruble boot it really shouldn't be difficult, I've done it before using mostly Linux distro, I don't imagine it would be any different with Windows.

Oh okay, I was just expecting people to question the idea. I often try to setup some crazy stuff like this. At the moment I'm trying to get 4 disk drives working in my PC. 2 are on an IDE PCI card, but I can only get one of the IDE drives working at a time. I'm about to make a thread about it.

I'm trying to follow the guide for Win98 on modern hardware, but using a VM. For some reason it won't boot from the 98 CD. I'll try booting it on my host to see if I will be having the same problem or if it's just VMware.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

it probably has driver issues, windows 98 is seeing hardware that it doesnt recognize. 

As far as your IDE card, what specific one are you using?

picard5.jpg

#9 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:45 AM

it probably has driver issues, windows 98 is seeing hardware that it doesnt recognize. 

As far as your IDE card, what specific one are you using?

Oh I sorted it out. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610305/only-one-drive-will-function-at-a-time-on-my-ide-controller-card/

It all works now.

Can you actually boot from a retail disk? If not I might need to get a USB floppy drive and run the installer from a startup disk.

Edited by Karzahni, 06 April 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

as long as its an .ISO it shoud boot just fine, so yes, I imagine it should.

picard5.jpg

#11 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:16 PM

as long as its an .ISO it shoud boot just fine, so yes, I imagine it should.

From what I've read, SE's retail and OEM disks are bootable. For some reason my retail one isn't, but I have an OEM one that is, so I'll use that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users