Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows partition recovery maze

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Moby-geek

Moby-geek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

Hi,

My friends have an unexpected issue with his laptop and precisly with hishard disk.

I do several modification but i'm stuck with another problem i'm afraid i can't go through this time.

The goal is only to recover few data (a memoire in fact).

Here is his partition table :

(before error)

/dev/sda 1 RECOVERY 1.30 Go

/dev/sda 2 OS (windows 8) 372 Go

/dev/sda 5 DATA 537 Go

(after error)

/dev/sda 1 UNALLOCATED

This is what i get after few manipulation, partition recovery with tesdisk and other program (the hard disk have some hardware damage).

Plus i didn't recover sda 1 because it's isn't necessary for us :

/dev/sda 1 extended 372 Go

'-- > /dev/sda 5 (NTFS partition = OS probably) 372 Go

/dev/sda 2 DATA 537 Go

I need to access /dev/sda 5 again which is the OS partition (i could backup few data but after few manipulation for better access i blew up the HDD).

OS is no longueur accessible, and the fact of sda5 is IN sda1 block access to all tools.

sda 2 (DATA) is mountable when disk won't crash) but it's sda 5 (OS) who is important and locate his data.

How sda 1 and sda 5 have the same size and how could I make sda 5 the primal partition fot gain access ?

I give you the screenshot of the partition table.

Thanks for your help !

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

At this point I think the partition table has been corrupted and is no longer mountable. Your best bet is to do a hex dump if you know how to do it and try to recover the data individually... otherwise take this to a forensics expert and they can try but it wont be cheap...

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

If the data you need to recover is less than 2GB you can scan the drive with Easeus Data Recovery

You can also try PhotoRec, part of Testdisk. Make sure you select the whole disk and under folder options select the extensions of the files you are trying to recover because by default it will recover every file on the disk it finds. PhotoRec recovers files with a generic files names. You will have to open the file and give it an appropriate name.

#4 Moby-geek

Moby-geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for your reply guys.

@BenjaminGodrdonT : I see what you talk about but i don't know any tools who do that. Can you link me one of it please ?

@JohnC_21 : I already use Photorec (Hiren's boot toolbox) but i can no longer use it. The disk is instable, i could backup few datafiles but the second time i denied any access. That's the reason why i try further manipulation and came here with this situation. I'm gonna try EaseUS. I have no idea if it can help me in this case (hope so).

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Some folks use Recuva for situations like yours.  I've never had need for it because I always make full system backups regularly.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Moby-geek

Moby-geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

Recuva could not be efficient as the disk isn't accessible. There is a partition plus physical damage on it.

I need to modify the disk to get a new access and backup file who are not damaged or corrumpted, only blocked by a partition issue.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

And, if/when you do recover the file onto another media, test it by trying to access it.  Not every recovered file works like before.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Moby-geek

Moby-geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Do you talk about CD Live and theses kind of media ? Yes i did.

The problem to access it seems to be on the partition table : The extended is not reconise but it cover the OS partition in it.

How can i make the selected one like /dev/sda2 ?

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Recuva could not be efficient as the disk isn't accessible. There is a partition plus physical damage on it.

I need to modify the disk to get a new access and backup file who are not damaged or corrumpted, only blocked by a partition issue.

As I understand it, Recuva works even if you have formatted the drive.  It goes through sector by sector piecing files together.  I've never used it, but I've seen a lot of positive comments about it in other forums (e.g. CNET).

Good luck

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users