Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Emergency - Driver Update utility gone wrong

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

Basically I was told to use a driver update utility and it installed the latest drivers and everything. Yes I created a restore point. Now after restarting I cant use the mouse or the keyboard doesnt work. Please help fast. I should have known that microsoft provides driver updates. What can be done?

Edited by Seranok, 04 April 2016 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

Any drivers you download should be from the manufacturer of the device.  Driver update utilities don't care where the drivers come from and can download drivers which actually will not work with your devices.

Use the System Restore to revert the operating system to the way it was prior to using this utility.

What driver were you trying to download?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

It invovled a number of drivers. But the mouse and keyboard dont work. So I cant system restore. Any help?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

What led you to update the drivers?

Is this a laptop or desktop?

If laptop, external mouse?

If using a mouse, wireless or wired?

Can you try a different mouse?

Manufacturer/model of your computer?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 April 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#5 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

What led you to update the drivers?

Is this a laptop or desktop?

If laptop, external mouse?

If using a mouse, wireless or wired?

Can you try a different mouse?

Manufacturer/model of your computer?

It convinced me I hsd outdated drivers and updating them would improve its performance.

Laptop.

I used both external mouse and keypad.

No I cant. I dont know because I dont have another mouse. Moreover the keyboard doesnt work. But it only doesnt work on win7, works on the start page where it says win7 didnt shutdown correctly.

I have a dell inspiron.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

Do you have a recent full image OS partition backup?  A recent full image data partition backup?  If not, Puppy Linux on usb or dvd boot may be needed to copy off your data folders and files onto a reliable external media.  If there is no way to get into Windows for any System Restore Point, then a reinstall may be in the cards, 'cause the Windows install disk comes with its own internal keyboard and mouse drivers.

dc3, Queen-Evie  - would there be anything helpful on Windows install DVD?  I know about Startup Repair; is there a SRP function on it?

Edited by RolandJS, 04 April 2016 - 10:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

It convinced me I hsd outdated drivers and updating them would improve its performance.
I have a dell inspiron.

What convinced you the drivers were outdated?

What is the MODEL number of your Dell Inspiron?

I have no clue if there would be anything helpful on an install disc. Someone else may know the answer to that one.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

Queen-Evie, I just remembered, while I do not know about OEM Windows install DVDs, my Microsoft Windows 7 DVD, with its own set of keyboard and mouse drivers, has a function that can find an SRP, restore an SRP [assuming there is an SRP that is in good shape on the hard-drive' System Information folder].

Edited by RolandJS, 04 April 2016 - 10:49 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

I have a dell inspiron.

What convinced you the drivers were outdated?

What is the MODEL number of your Dell Inspiron?

I have no clue if there would be anything helpful on an install disc. Someone else may know the answer to that one.

Well it told me I had outdated drivers and the updates downloaded through it will be glitch free. Well I was wrong. I used snappy driver installer.

I do not know about the os partition or backup disc.

Even if you know about the model number how do you intend to help me?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

Do you have a Windows install DVD?

#11 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

I dont know, must be in my dad's office.

#12 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

Have you tried booting into safemode to see if the KB & mouse work there?

If so, you can run Windows System Restore.

Same with Recovery - see if you can boot into Recovery and run Windows System Restore.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

This is what happens when users are gullible enough to believe they need to update their drivers.  You should not have to update your drivers unless something isn't working right or the manufacturer has issued new and improved drivers.  Since creating a Windows repair disc is one of the first things you should do, I would assume that you have one.  Insert the disc then restart your computer and do a system restore to a point before you used the driver software.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

With the model of your system, we might be able to link you to the drivers on the Dell support site for your model.

#15 Guest_Seranok_*

Guest_Seranok_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

I tried safe mode but no luck. But the damn mouse and keyboard doesnt still work. Leaving it to an engineer in my dads office to fix it. I agree I shouldnt have updated in the first place but more or less I was tempted. I thank everyone for their help unless you have further advice thanks to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users