Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make Windows store apps run under EMET 5.5 control on w10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:43 AM

Hi everyone. I am not an expert so i left EMET almost with recommended settings.
I managed to add programs like Firefox, chrome etc but I can't add metro apps ( those from windows store .. I hope you get it what I am saying because in Italian when we say apps we don't refer to applications like in English ).
I can't because i can't find ".exe" of metro apps.
Googling I found that Universal Windows Apps actually don't have ".exe"'files. So? How can I add them in EMET?

I'd really appreciate if you could provide help

Looking forward to hearing from you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:04 AM

Many programs are listed in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Menu Start\Programs

I don't know if this is the Answer you are looking for.

The folder "ProgramData" is by default hidden, to be able to see that folder, you need to unhide that Folder.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

#3 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:14 AM

Thank for the reply but I am not look for programs but windows store apps
Pretty sure I already checked that folder but I'll try again

Edited by Dirk41, 04 April 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#4 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:28 AM

For example Facebook app, Twitter app etc

#5 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

Many programs are listed in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Menu Start\Programs

I don't know if this is the Answer you are looking for.

The folder "ProgramData" is by default hidden, to be able to see that folder, you need to unhide that Folder.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

well i found your folder..there are office 2016 apps something else but not twitter or facebook metro app

no wait they are not .exe , they are just shortcuts/links

what os are you using?

Edited by Dirk41, 04 April 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

EMET mitigations guidelines...Application compatibility list
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

thank you but that is the list of incompatibilities. i can't even find how to add metro apps to emet.

is there anyone who use w10?

maybe it is simply not possible.

Edited by Dirk41, 04 April 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:33 PM

Microsoft has officially stated that there is no need for EMET in Windows 10 since it already contains protections such as Device Guard, Control Flow Guard (CFG) and AppLocker that provide equivalent (or better) mitigations than EMET...see Mitigations in Windows 10

With Windows 10 we have implemented many features and mitigations that can make EMET unnecessary on devices running Windows 10. EMET is most useful to help protect down-level systems, legacy applications, and to provide Control Flow Guard (CFG) protection for 3rd party software that may not yet be recompiled using CFG. For the same reason, EMET does not protect Edge browser. However, EMET 5.5 is fully compatible with Windows 10...Given the advanced technologies used to protect Microsoft Edge, including industry leading sandboxing, compiler, and memory management techniques, EMET 5.5 mitigations do not apply to Edge.

I do not use Windows 10 or Windows store apps but it is my understanding that they run in their own virtual space (sandbox), limiting the files they can access on your system...see Windows Store Apps live in the Sandbox. Store apps run in their own Windows on the desktop, alongside other desktop applications but they are not the same. Since that is the case, you may not be able to add the apps in EMET in the same manner as traditional applications. That is probably why you cannot find any information for adding them.

#9 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:36 AM

Microsoft has officially stated that there is no need for EMET in Windows 10 since it already contains protections such as Device Guard, Control Flow Guard (CFG) and AppLocker that provide equivalent (or better) mitigations than EMET...see Mitigations in Windows 10

With Windows 10 we have implemented many features and mitigations that can make EMET unnecessary on devices running Windows 10. EMET is most useful to help protect down-level systems, legacy applications, and to provide Control Flow Guard (CFG) protection for 3rd party software that may not yet be recompiled using CFG. For the same reason, EMET does not protect Edge browser. However, EMET 5.5 is fully compatible with Windows 10...Given the advanced technologies used to protect Microsoft Edge, including industry leading sandboxing, compiler, and memory management techniques, EMET 5.5 mitigations do not apply to Edge.

I do not use Windows 10 or Windows store apps but it is my understanding that they run in their own virtual space (sandbox), limiting the files they can access on your system...see Windows Store Apps live in the Sandbox. Store apps run in their own Windows on the desktop, alongside other desktop applications but they are not the same. Since that is the case, you may not be able to add the apps in EMET in the same manner as traditional applications. That is probably why you cannot find any information for adding them.

Thank you very much . I can't open links right now . Anyway it says "CAN make Emet unnecessary".
I don't use edge so it could be useful for ff or chrome. I think it takes care of Java anyway Fo example.
Windows store is also on w8, and they don't say to not use EMET on it.
On MS community they didn't tell me " it's useless "
Anyway again thank you very much , I didn't find those link (even if I spent a lot of time searching), really useful information

edit: and hopefully it is not the sam integrated sandbox of chome ,otherwisw it is unreliable

Edited by Dirk41, 05 April 2016 - 04:46 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

No problem.

EMET is not useless but it is not a tool I would recommend for most novice users since it must be configured to provide protection for specific software. This requires providing the name and location of the executable file that you want to protect. Software has to be added/imported to the Apps list...any software not in .xml, has to be added separately. EMET also allows you to activate other features...DEP, SEHOP, ASLR and modify system-wide settings not enabled by default because they may cause some applications to not work properly. Further, EMET Security Technology is not impenetrable...

#11 Nowitzki41

Nowitzki41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:36 AM

No problem.

EMET is not useless but it is not a tool I would recommend for most novice users since it must be configured to provide protection for specific software. This requires providing the name and location of the executable file that you want to protect. Software has to be added/imported to the Apps list...any software not in .xml, has to be added separately. EMET also allows you to activate other features...DEP, SEHOP, ASLR and modify system-wide settings not enabled by default because they may cause some applications to not work properly. Further, EMET Security Technology is not impenetrable...

thank you. i added prgrams i use. anyway now we are in 2016 and i found several articles that state that 5.5 STABLE release a

has been pathced.

thank you anyway to keep me aware

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

You're welcome.