Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or hard drive dieing??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mellowjay123

mellowjay123

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hi Everyone, Im an old friend with new problems unfortunately.  Today my computer took forever to finally boot and wasn't responding well and crashed.  I was never able to boot in safe mode.  After waiting a long time, I was able to run rouge killer, and I was able to run everything I had - MBAM, Combofix, but crashed again running SAS.  Now it will not boot again. 

I thought virus because it was so sluggish but could it be a hard drive issue?

My main concern is that the hard drive has all my family pics on it.  When I had an issue before, someone helped me download a bootable cd mini opererating system ISO that I was able to recover all my picture files.  That operating system also had Mozilla on it which was cool.

Does anyone know what that mini operating system is called?

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks everyone,

jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:29 PM

Puppy Linux?  Do you have any backups?  Since you have had to recover your files before, I suppose you should know you should be backing up regularly.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

ComboFix should only be run under the guidance of the BC malware grandmasters.  Going forward, if a system restore point cannot be successfully engaged, then, quite possibly, you might have to off-copy your data folders and files, then do a Windows reinstall.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 mellowjay123

mellowjay123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

Hi Agouti,

Thanks for replying.  Sometimes i never learn lol and thanks for the recommendation of Puppy Linux.

Hi RolandJS,

I hear you about Combofix, It was a desperation move but it's worked for me in the past.  I really thought it was a root kit or something but nothing really turned up with all the anti virus stuff that I ran making me think hard drive.

I turned it on and just let it sit and run but it did boot after about 45 minutes.  I was able to at transfer all my photos onto an external drive so I am overall very happy. 

Do you think or anyone think it's worth trying to recover that drive or should I copy it entirely onto a new hard drive?  Any thoughts is appreciated.  I have never swapped out drives before.

Y'all have a great night!

jay

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

If you think that the hard drive is failing...I suggest running an appropriate hard drive diagnostic, after any valued data has been moved to another drive.

Louis

#6 mellowjay123

mellowjay123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:22 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for replying, I was able to save everything important from that drive.  I tried to clone the questionable drive, and it failed.  Is there a good drive diagnostic that you would suggest?  Im open to everything. 

Thanks again,

jay

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

UBCD has a range of different diagnostic tools on it.

Handy disk.

:busy:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:09 PM

Unbootable pc, dc3.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

SeaTools for DOS Seagate - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

That's on the disk above I linked, as well as a pile of other handy tools.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

:thumbup2:

#13 mellowjay123

mellowjay123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi, Thanks everyone for all your help. 

Since I had everything important saved, I ended up using the recovery disk to set it back to factory specs and start over.  I did run seagate long generic  (thanks y'all for the link) after setting it back to factory specs and it passed with no issues.  Do y'all think that this drive would be relatively stable at this time or do would it be recommended that I install a brand new drive.  This computer is about 4 years old or so and  I do have a new hard drive.  Or should I run more diagnostics to determine the reliability?

Thanks again everyone who has read, commented, and generally helped me!

jay

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

As your system is back up now, a good diagnostic tool to check your disk is HDD Scan

You can check the SMART, then run a read scan. If you have sectors >500ms or bad you would consider replacing the drive immediately. If you have a lot of sectors (1000's) <500ms, you are experiencing decreased performance and you should be budgeting for a new disk in the not too distant future.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

You want a simple answer...it's impossible to give one, IMO.

You posted about problems...you ran all sorts of malware tools...you ran a reliable hard drive diagnostic.

I would consider the hard drive capable of being removed from the list of suspects but that does not get to the root of your situation.  I don't believe running more hard drive diagnostics will be of value.

I suggest that the next time that you believe you have a malware situation...you post here in the appropriate malware forum, before going through the "99 bottles of beer" routine with malware tools..  That would be beneficial for all.

A hard drive can fail anytime and the failure rate is accepted as just part of using a drive with electro-mechanical parts.  I consider it wise to always have a spare/replacement drive available for immediate use.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users