Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Emsisoft and Offline scanners?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

Firstly can Emsisoft Emergency Kit be run offline in the same way as other  offline scanners like Windows Defender or by portable do they just mean that you have something with you that you can use on any computer?

Secondly as for offline scanners I understand there are many of these. My question here is in regards to which one to use is all down to personal preference right? I mean it's not like one is going to do a better job at detection than others or anything else to consider? Personally I can see them all being equal in detection methods since the scanning is being done offline and so no malware will be active anyway and thus won't pick up on being scanned. One thing I think might have to be a consideration is as long as they all have the latest updates then I myself guess it's just personal preference.

Well there's my two queries.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

The Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a portable second opinion malware scanner which contains a collection of programs that can be used without software installation to scan for malware and clean infected computers. The Kit includes the Emsisoft Scanner complete with graphical user interface. Since all of the programs are portable, they can be run USB device or in a graphical Recovery Environment. EEK can be used in safe mode or from a recovery environment in order to remove particularly stubborn infections.

Windows Defender Offline (WDO) is primarily intended for use against hard to find malware, rootkits (i.e. TDSS/TDL4), when Windows will not boot and for severely infected computers which may also render the computer unbootable...using definitions that recognize such threats. To use WDO, you will need a blank CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with at least 250 MB of free space. The computer must have the same Windows operating system (OS) architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) as Windows Defender Offline. Bootable media created on any version of Windows can be run on any other version of Windows. The only thing that needs to match is the architecture of Windows Defender Offline and the OS of the infected machine.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:52 AM

Emsisoft Emergency Kit can be used from environments like Ultimate Boot CD, however it will reduces the effectiveness of the scanner. Best to use them while booted into Windows (Normal/Safe Mode).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users