Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I try to reinstall Service Pack 2 or upgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 guiyak1

guiyak1

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and had Service Pack 2 installed but uninstalled it to try fixing some problems that I was having with the computer.  Now...I can't reinstall it since it doesn't completely uninstall everything in the registry.  What should I do?  Thank you.

Edited by guiyak1, 03 April 2016 - 04:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Do you have Vista installation media - DVDs or similar - or do you have a recovery partition ?

If you do then the first thing to do is to back up all your data to external storage including the stuff that nearly everybody forgets (including me, at least once), stuff like your bookmarks and contact lists. And make a note of your authorisation codes for any software you have downloaded off the web, this will make re-installing these items much simpler.

Then it is decision time. Your only cure may be a complete clean re-install of Vista. If you use a DVD of Vista you will finish up with a clean install with nothing on the computer except Vista. If you use a recovery partition you will restore the computer to the ex-works condition with all the sample and trial software that was on it when it was bought !  Either way you will have a ton of updates to do as well as all - or most - of your applications to re-install, and then your data to put back where it was. Watching paint dry is more exciting than doing this !

If you decide to upgrade to Win 7, then you will still have all this work to do plus the cost of buying a legit install disc. Either way I think you are in for a very boring weekend, and it will take you that long.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 guiyak1

guiyak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

I have some questions:

1.  I have a Dell computer that was made to my specs, and they sent me the DVDs which included a reinstallation DVD of Windows Vista Home Premiium.  It was suggested that I  create a new DVD with SP1 slipstreamed.  Do you agree with that?

2.  Isn't there any other way to delete Service Pack 2 from the registry?

3.  Can't I upgrade to Windows 7 online?  Is buying an install disc the only thing that I can do?

Thank you.

#4 DarwinJones

DarwinJones

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:01 AM

Why not try to back up your file and reinstall all of it, (like reformat).  That way everything will start as new, when done put back the back up files. I usually do this when there is no other option.

#5 guiyak1

guiyak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

Darwin, I'm not understanding what you're telling me.  Could you please explain it to me in more detail?

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

Do a complete factory reset, remove bloatware, install all Windows Updates and your internet security plan

--- Know that Vista reaches EOL Apr 11, 2017

Once the computer is up-to-date as a clean as a whistle system, create a system image backup with a 3rd party program

--- Have a back up plan for your data also

--- Will this take time, yes: but why not go for the best condition the computer should be in?

Then upgrade to Windows 7

--- Know that Windows 7 reaches EOL Jan 14, 2020

Same as above

Once the computer is up-to-date as a clean as a whistle system, create a system image backup with a 3rd party program

--- This will cost a few dollars but targeting 2020 EOL vs 2017 EOL is worth it.

Consider upgrading to Windows 10 afterward

--- I've upgraded some Vista based systems that were upgraded to Windows 7 to Windows 10 with very good results

--- You can always revert back to Windows 7 if there are issues with the upgraded Windows 10

--- There are some Vista based systems that might not qualify or do well as a Windows 10 system but I would consider it.

With all of that said, you could also look into purchasing a refurbished Windows 7 or 8.1 computer for very reasonable price and still consider the free upgrade to Windows 10.

--- If you decide to go for Windows 8.1, it reaches EOL Jan 10, 2023

Whatever decision you make system image as well as data backups should always be included

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users