Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aomei Backup Software Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

I have recently started using the free version of Aomei backup software to back up my 2 PCs; a laptop and a desktop. I have created backup sets for System Image backup and File Backup. The Backups for the laptop are on a dedicated portable hard drive along with the system backup for the desktop. Due to space issues the File Backup for the Desktop has ended up on another portable drive that is also used for general storage. This is really becuse until recently i still had my last Windows Backup sets still on the dedicated backup drive while i gradualy converted over to Aomei Backup. Today i decided to update the backups. The backups on the dedicated backup drive worked fine (differential backup), so file and system backup for the laptop and the system backup for the desktop were updated no problem. 

The problem arose when i went to update the file backup for tie desktop on the other external drive. Aomei Backup could not find or recognise the original backup set, yet i could find and identify them no problem in the backup folder on the drive. I had no choice but to run a new backup set, which meant manually selecting the folders where the data i wanted backed up is stored (dont want everything as this is unnesesary and takes up too much space). The new backup ran fine but now i have 2 versions of virtually the same backup set (barring differences over time), which is not what i want from backups. I want to do one back up and update it incrementally or differentialy as the software is supposed to do.

Dont understand why the software failed to recognise the original backup, What might have gone wrong and how can i stop this happening again? could the fact that i use the drive it is stored on for other storage and not just backups have anything to do with it?  One thing that did happen before this problem arose is that the software tried to do a scheduled update of the backup when the portable drive wasnt connected so the backup obviously failed. I only connect portabl drives when i am using them.

Can anyone help? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

If your file backup was not listed in Backup Management see this page on restoring it.

http://www.aomeitech.com/kb/backupper/load-reload-backup-task.html

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:41 AM

Going forward, the following may work best for you long-term:

-- two external hard-drives  each containing:

---- at least one if not two full images of OS partition

---- at least one if not two full images of data partition

I never use differential or incremental for OS partition, but hey, that's just me; you must do what is best for you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hope I am not getting off the subject. I have a 64gb thumb drive I intend to use for backup on my Gateway E-6610 desktop running Widows 10. I know for an Iso  back up this is too much room. Is there an alternative to the small Iso back up that includes some images of important parts of the drive? If not, is there an auto program in Windows 10 for incremental back ups? I realize that if I crash Windows 10 and damage the system files an Iso back up is of little help. Just what should I back up to a 64gb bootable USB drive?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

boomdig, you might want to "move" your post into a new thread; you asked very good questions, deserving of their own thread  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

Ran a fresh backup about a month ago and today decided to update it with an incremental backup. After 2 failed attempts realized the same problem has occurred again, the software did not recognize the original backup although it allowed me to waste time running an incremental backup that was never going to work!

Reread this thread and found the solution provided. Has apparently worked, despite doubts on my part. If this workaround can fix the issue when it occurs than i have a bit more confidence in the backup software. What i want to know is why does this keep happening? Has it got something to do with the drive i am using to back up to?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

The drive should not have anything to do with the problem unless for some reason the the letter of the drive that contains the image changes between the time you created the image and when you decided to restore it. That's the only thing I can think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users