Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Banking browsers vs Trusteer Rapport

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

Was hoping the knowledgeable ones can give me a clue about these two types of program.

More and more banks are saying we should use Trusteer Rapport when connecting with them, and on a reasonably modern PC I find it does not affect performance as  it could some years ago.

However many modern Internet Suites like Kaspersky, BitDefender etc also have their own 'Safe Banking'  browers/routines, but when used,  Rapport does not run with them;  a well documented problem.

So the question is, which of these  two methods is the safer  for banking ?  and if possible  a brief  explanation of the principle behind  how each operate would be enlightening .

My current view, is that who do you trust most, your bank/s recommendations,  who deal with all your money/loans or a small AV company located somewhere...   yet surprisingly, to me, some folk still go for the latter ....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

IBM Security Trusteer Rapport is security software designed to minimize fraud and identity theft by protecting confidential data, financial information and account credentials from being stolen by hackers utilizing social engineering and phishing techniques. Trusteer Rapport provides an additional layer of security protection to supplement anti-virus software using anti-phishing measures to protect against misdirection and attempts to prevent malicious screen scraping which helps prevent man-in-the-browser, man-in-the-middle, session hijacking and screen capturing attacks during online banking transactions. As such, it is required by many financial institutions to protect their customers. Trusteer Pinpoint is a web-based service that allows financial institutions to detect and mitigate malware, phishing and account takeover attacks without installing any software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rm22

rm22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:31 AM

Hi,

Was hoping the knowledgeable ones can give me a clue about these two types of program.

More and more banks are saying we should use Trusteer Rapport when connecting with them, and on a reasonably modern PC I find it does not affect performance as  it could some years ago.

However many modern Internet Suites like Kaspersky, BitDefender etc also have their own 'Safe Banking'  browers/routines, but when used,  Rapport does not run with them;  a well documented problem.

So the question is, which of these  two methods is the safer  for banking ?  and if possible  a brief  explanation of the principle behind  how each operate would be enlightening .

My current view, is that who do you trust most, your bank/s recommendations,  who deal with all your money/loans or a small AV company located somewhere...   yet surprisingly, to me, some folk still go for the latter ....

I'm certainly not an expert on this, but my conclusion on after doing some research awhile ago is - it depends. If your bank is a customer of Trusteer then they have software on their end that locks in with Trusteer on your machine when you bank with them - this seems to work pretty well. However if you want protection from Trusteer on any other website then your bank - you need to add them manually - i wonder how many people know this? Hardened browsers like Quarri MyPOQ... or apps like Zemana AL free offer protection automatically making them much more convenient to use.

If you're interested here's some test results of Trusteer from last year at MRG

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Versus-Trusteer-Rapport-Comparative-Analysis-2015-Q2.pdf

#4 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:05 AM

Thanks, some interesting points to follow up .

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:14 AM

Chrome and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit + Trusteer Rapport users should read this topic.

#6 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Chrome and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit + Trusteer Rapport users should read this topic.

Thanks for that  link, so much info on this site, so easy to miss things, but have bookmarked it as its clearly something of a reference standard.

However, don't wish to appear too dim, but despite going though that very long page twice I seem to have missed any reference to any point about the Rapport, Chrome or MBAE users ..?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

I posted the wrong link. It has been corrected so try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users