Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will using GWX control panel before using Win 10 ISO dvd erase my...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

erase my Win 7 validation key so that after installing Win 10 from the ISO file I will need to telephone MS to get it sorted out?

This GWX gets rid of the system tray icon for the upgrade to Win 10 so what happens to my Win 7 key? Any help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

I dont think it touches the key,if you uninstalled the Gwx Control Panel you could just upgrde to 10 normaly i think.

We use Gwx Control panelon our 2 7s and ive never considered changing my mind on the upgrade so i went online to clarify and theres nothing...maybe no ones

ever changed there mind about the upgrade yet...anyway,pretty sure it doesnt touch the Registration key in any way.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for responding.

I should have given more on what I want to do which is to make a dual boot with my Win 7. I have been advised to use the GWX before installing the Win 10 from the DVD into an unallocated partition.

So my worry is if the GWX is used my Win 7 key won't be there to validate the Win 10 install. One person has said that this will not happen but I want to make sure. This GWX use is only to remove the Win 10 update icon in the system tray so preventing an accidental upgrade which would delete the Win 7 partition, which could be sensible but not if it deletes the Win 7 key. This is my query.

A tech website on how to set up this dual boot does not mention this GWX at all and also says that "you'll PROBABLY have to perform an upgrade first before you can clean install" - 'probably'?  what this really means is not explained and is never mentioned again!

Any comments welcome.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:33 AM

Oh look what I have just found:-

"Now there’s a free tool called Gibson’s Never10 that will stop the nag screen, but also allow you turn the Windows 10 update back on if you decide you’re ready. But don’t worry, it doesn’t mean you won’t ever get Windows 10, just that the update is disabled for now."

Perhaps this is my solution!

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:34 AM

Ok yes i see what you mean,nothing i,ve seen on the net clarifies that.

Logically id expect the system to read the two os seperately and be ok but having not done it i couldnt say for sure.

Id suspect you,d be ok but thats not really definintive enough when your system and data,s at stake is it.

I guess you could make a system image of the 7,then try it and see what happens.

Also might be worth posting the question (with a very clear explanation in the subject header):-) on the Windows 10 forums,some knowlegable people there.

http://www.tenforums.com/

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:42 AM

Oh look what I have just found:-

"Now there’s a free tool called Gibson’s Never10 that will stop the nag screen, but also allow you turn the Windows 10 update back on if you decide you’re ready. But don’t worry, it doesn’t mean you won’t ever get Windows 10, just that the update is disabled for now."

Heh,heh,good old Steve,the pc Guru people love to hate..well some do anyway..talented programer...

Sooo,doeas that solve the dual boot issue in that Never 10 will handle that better than GWX?It looks like GWX locks down the 10 stuff more aggressively?

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for that.  I've contacted Gibson with my validation query so await if I get an answer.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

You can turn GWX Control Panel options on and off too.  I just reinstalled Windows 10 on a system with Win 7 Pro and GWX dual boot with no problems.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

I haven't had to use the GWX Control Panel but have read their guide

--- I've seen posts that indicate it was being used as a set it - forget it system but it still needs the users interaction to keep it up to date and to ensure it's doing it's job just like any other software.

On Gibson's Never10 I imagine the same principle applies

On validation keys, record them and keep that information handy even if it sounds like it doesn't or shouldn't matter

On contacting Microsoft, I've only had to contact them a few times over the years, but when you have the appropriate information regarding an issue at hand, they are very helpful in my experience

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for that.  I've contacted Gibson with my validation query so await if I get an answer.

Good idea,that would get us a difinitive answer i should think,would help me out to know in case i go down that road.

On validation keys, record them and keep that information handy even if it sounds like it doesn't or shouldn't matter

Good point,doesnt cost anything to make a note of them somewhere,can save a lot of hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users