Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zahedkhan

zahedkhan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

hi

i am trying to format my c drive , as i am no more hav access to my windows ,

when i type format c: /q in the dos commad it gives format not supported ,

plz help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kNotZ

kNotZ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

To format a drive:

You must not have an operating system that is being used contained within the drive.

I believe that is your problem. Therefore, without your WindowsXP disk, you may not format a drive while running the operating system. It is best to go buy WindowsXP or borrow a friends CD, and use the CD to boot. (Insert CD -> Restart Computer -> Select[Boot From CD"If not done automatically"] -> Follow Setup Instructions)

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

If you have access to a CD burner you can download and burn a image of Digital Dolly to CD. It will Wipe, format, and manage you hard drive. It is about a 50Mb download.

You can also use Ultimate Boot CD. Or a plan old boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 zahedkhan

zahedkhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

i hav tried with xp n 98 also , but once i reboot my system with xp or 98 cd i get back to the original operating system where i end up , and it ask me to place cd of win2k pro.

i am confused

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:58 AM

Do you have a Windows 2000 pro installation cd?

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 August 2006 - 06:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users