Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new PC stutters/hangs doing simple tasks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JRain

JRain

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

Specs:

Windows 10 Home
MSI Z170A SLI Plus Mobo
i7 6700K 4Ghz (water cooled)
16GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 980 Ti
1 TB Samsung SSD
1 TB HDD

PC consistently stutters/hangs(audio included) while performing several tasks, I can make the issue happen pretty much at will by doing any of these things:

-Closing the start menu(doesn't stutter ever when opening)
-Opening or closing new tabs in an internet browser
-Minimizing windows
-Loading into a new area in a game

I'm sure there are plenty more scenarios but since the PC is brand new, I haven't done much else with it.

Things I've tried to remedy the issue but were unsuccessful:

-Uninstall/reinstall Windows 10 many times, on different SSDs and HDDs.
-Updated BIOS and all drivers.
-Ran Seagate's SDD/HDD check tests and Memtest86. Both took much longer than they should have from what I've read, but passed all.
-Checked CPU temps--typically sub 30C
-A lot of Google searches

The only things I noticed that appear to be out of the ordinary(but not entirely sure):

-On the task manager performance tab, the C: drive active time will jump to 100% even when I'm not doing anything for several seconds straight and then drop back down to around 0%.
-During these stutters the CPU utilization will spike up to 15-17%(sitting at 3% as I type this) and then quickly back down.

Sorry this is long, I wanted to be a descriptive as possible to better hone in on the issue. Any help at all is hugely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hi. . .

I would strongly suggest that you return the system and demand a new one because the current problems you are having are likely to pale in comparison to problems you'll encounter in the months to come.

There must be a problem with the hardware given the number of times you have reinstalled Windows.

"Unknown" hardware failure is the best way to describe it and given the hardware diagnostic tests that you have performed + the HDD/SSD replacements, a problem with the mobo itself sounds plausible. 

I don't see any of your issues being software, driver or OS related at all.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 JRain

JRain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

I was afraid of that. It's weird too because the hangs are about half a second long, never really longer and doesn't cause any crashes.

EDIT/UPDATE: I ran a driver cleaner(and disabled windows from auto installing them) and didn't install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card and the issue I had before is gone. However, obviously this means I'm stuck at a low res and no drivers for my card. Not sure where to go from here.

Edited by JRain, 03 April 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

As you found out, using the Microsoft legacy video driver (a driver like vga.sys) really is not prudent for the long term. 

Is there any particular reason why you can't return the system and get a new one? This would be #1 on my list as stated in my prior post.

I just don't see any other options unless you want to live with your current system and its problems for a long time to come. I also believe that the problems will get worse as time goes on.

Problems like yours are extremely difficult to solve.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 03 April 2016 - 12:06 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users