Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reimage Repair x64 System Optimization & performance utility. GOOD? BAD??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rslebeck

rslebeck

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

I was online the other day and came across a program called Reimage Repair x64.  It claims I have over 400 problems on my HP Pavilion dx4 Notebook,.  I bought the Notebook used 2 years ago, and I've often wondered if the guy installed pirated Windows and Office 2010 software.  Anyway, it shows my Notebook to be pretty unstable and in need of substantial corrections.  IT DOES SAY "<Program> Not Responding" ALL THE TIME!  Windows, all of the Office programs, Windows Explorer, Google Chrome, etc.  So it could very well be an accurate assessment of my system.  But I would be really grateful if a Moderator or User could shed a little light on the program.  Whether it does what it says or if it's more Malware, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

reimage repair is indeed malware and is more than likely popping up because reimage is already installed which is malware itself, I suggest run malwarebytes scan for removal as well as junkware removal tool as well as adwarecleaner

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

Personally -  My View - Stay Away from it.

If you think you are infected , or have some minor issues then Post in the Am I Infected Area.

A Moderator may merge this post if needed or delete it.

Also read here prior to posting:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

Reimage is NOT a program that I or any other BC staff would recommend. It is often removed after it has

been installed without the user's permission. The large number of problems is likely not true or is things like

cookies or items in the registry that would have no bad effect being left alone. The problem with registry cleaners 

is that they so often cause serious damage. Most are installed without the user's consent or offered as free to

allow adware to be installed....or worse.

Suggest you start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

warning.gifPC Booster/Tune-Up Program Warning!
"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 rslebeck

rslebeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:54 PM

All of these articles on links have been exemplary! I Thanks to each & every one of you.  I was going to buy Reimage Repair x64 with my next check!!  I'll save my money & future problems now.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Pretty sure this Reimage Repair is seen on quite a few full page pop-up/spam redirect adds....; FAR too many for me to associate them with anything other than more spam.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Reimage Repair is considered as PUP by many security vendors, yes.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:42 AM

Warning, multiple anti-virus scanners have detected possible malware in Reimage Repair.

What is Reimage Repair?

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

Just to add my experience: I once installed Reimage Repair on a freshly installed Windows 7 machine to test the programme. It did show more than 100 errors and claimed that the system is unstable. I looked into some of the "bad" entries and these were, among others, .NET related registry entries. These were good entries and nothing that should be removed.

Furthermore, if you want to deinstall the programme, it will try to trick into installing Reimage Express instead, which is even worse than Reimage Repair.

Such ridiculous results and behaviour can only be called scam in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users