Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Design Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmit2b3

jmit2b3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

I was looking to get some help for an assignment I am doing for one of my networking courses. I picked the equipment used for the scenario so I could be using stuff that is wrong.  Here is a bit of information about the scenario:

I have 3x 12 Port SFP Fiber switches that are connected into a fiber infrastructure that runs to multiple buildings. Just to mention it, there are multiple VLANs and a 12 switch ports to 1 fiber uplink ratio (12:1). My problem is connecting certain components to these 3 switches. I have 30 servers that are connected to 2x 48 Port switches that both have additional 4 port SFP modules. I also have a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall that needs to be implemented into the design. I honestly don't know how to physically connect the firewall and the 2x 48 port switches that are connected to the servers into the fiber infrastructure. My idea was to connect the 2x 48 port switches into another 12 port SFP Fiber switch and then connect that switch to the 3 sfp switches and make it part of the stack using a stackwise cable. I was then going to connect the firewall to 2x 24 port switches with 4 port SFP modules. I would then connect those 2 into the same fiber switch the 2x 48 port switches were connected to. My only problem is that I don't know how  to physically connect the firewall to the 2x 24 port switches. I tried researching it but I honestly haven't found specific instructions.

If I could get some feedback about my potential solution that would be great.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

Proper design would have chosen a backbone switch that has the 10/100/1000 copper ports you need for the servers/firewall as well as a blade for the SFP connections.

"firewall to 2x 24 port switches with 4 port SFP modules"

according to the specs that unit doesn't have any SFP ports

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/datasheet-c78-733510.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users