Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 530 BIOS problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

My step-sons Dell inspiron 530 resets to the defaults on every boot no matter what you have set it to. I've changed the motherboard battery, didn't make a difference-still resets to the defaults. During boot it looks for a floppy drive, there's no floppy drive installed in the computer. It will give you a message to continue to the operating system by hitting F1 on the keyboard. Once you get to the operating system it runs normally.

This computer originally had Windows vista as it's operating system. Vista got hosed so I installed Ubuntu Linux on it. But, it was doing the same thing before the change. It stops during boot looking for a floppy drive and then gives you the option of going into setup (F2) or going to the operating system (F1). I've tried several time to reset the BIOS to look for the hard disk on boot, but no joy.

Any ideas on how to get it to keep the BIOS setting? Thank you.

Spec: RAM=2.9 GB

Hard disk=311.8 GB

Processor= Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220@2.4 GHZ +2

Graphics= Intel G33

OS=64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

Is it possible the jumper on the system board is in the "clrCmos" position?
That will make it revert to the defaults every time you turn it on.
Did you go into the BIOS and change the floppy drive option to not installed?
Did you make sure you saved the settings?

BTW, that PC will take an E8400 CPU which will give it a serious kick in the butt for about $10! (Lets fix the BIOS issue first)
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

my guess is its either the jumper in the wrong position like Davis has suggested, or the CMOS battery is dead, you can get them at walmart for like 5 bucks. the energizer is CR 2032 if I recall, though you may want to pop open your case and pull the old one out to confirm.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've changed the motherboard battery twice. First with one I had, didn't help so I went to Walmart and bought a new package(2) and tried one of them, no difference. I'll check that jumper tomorrow and get back with the results. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users