Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive keeps making nosies when nothing running.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 diggiedo

diggiedo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

I don,t really know how to explain this one but i,ll try. my hard drive seems like it,s always working overtime in the backround making that sound that tells me something is running idon,t know what can be running that hard in the backround but it is causing my computer to run like crap i just did a factory rest an did a clean install on this computer because of that an now it is still doing it.i can,t be a software issue because it was doing that before i reinstalled any of my software.i,m really baffeld on this one any help would really be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Since you posted this in the Windows 10 forum instead of the internal hardware forum, it seems that you think the blame lies with Microsoft and not your hardware?

It might be a hardware issue. Have you checked the task manager to see exactly what is running?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Pheno^

Pheno^

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

It sounds like it's an old mechanical drive.  Back up all your important data to a different drive.  This one might be going bad and could quite possibly fail soon.

#4 KathleenCulp

KathleenCulp

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

I would suggest you to back up data and replace HDD is its making sound in idle mode.

Get in touch with system or HDD manufacturer and run a diagnostic test on HDD in order to know the issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 April 2016 - 11:30 AM.
spam link deleted

#5 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:36 AM

no sound when idle.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

no sound when idle.

Have you at least considered that it might NOT be a Microsoft issue and it might actually be a hardware issue?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? Was this an upgrade to Windows 10 and if so did you have this problem with the previous OS? Do you get the drive issue when running in safe mode?

Run a hard drive diagnostic using Seatools for Windows. If you cannot run Seatools for Windows then download the iso of Parted Magic here. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking the iso file and selecting burn disk image. Boot the disk and double click Disk Health on the desktop. Run the short and long tests. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI if the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10. If disabling SecureBoot does not let you boot then enable Legacy or CSM boot in UEFI settings.

#8 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

Ty John c 21 thats what i was looking for something to test my hard drive i could not find it from the manufacturer so i did not know where else to get one well i,m running sea tools now everything passed so i don,t know what else to try maybe it is a software issue idk. just haft to keep trying to narrow it down.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

If the drive passed using Seatools then it's probably software related. I am not familiar with Windows 10 but you can try doing a clean boot. See if the problem continues. If not then there is a process or startup item conflicting. You would need to enable the startup items and services a few at a time and see when the problem starts. This would give you a clue on what program is causing the disk activity.

If this was an upgrade, were you getting the disk activity on your old OS?

#10 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

On the pmagic one can i burn that to a dvd instead of cd.??

#11 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

no not on my old os just windows 10 i had 7 it did not do it on 7 but i will try to narrow it down. tyvm for your assit.

#12 fourputt

fourputt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

Could be your cooling fan needs attention

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

Please do as JohnC_21 has requested, run the SeaTools for Window and post whether it passed or failed.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users