Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Touchpad Only Works With External Mouse

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fredsmythson

fredsmythson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

I have a Samsung R480 laptop that has issues with the touchpad.

When I try to use the mouse touchpad it intermittenly works and/or doesn't respond properly. It's basically unusable.  I decided to try an extrernal mouse and the laptop would not recognize it. I kept getting the USB device not recognized messege.  I tried two other external mouses, and it still wouldn't recognize them.  Every few minutes I would hear the USB connection sound indicating a USB device had been connected, but I wasn't connecting any USB devices to the laptop.

I've tried other USB devises on the computer like thumb drives and external hard drives, and they work fine.

I then tried to use the touchpad while the external mouse was connected.  And the touchpad starting working.  Not 100% working - still some delay and sensitivity problems, but usable.

So, the touchpad does not work properly when an external mouse isn't connected.  The touchpad does work somewhat when an external mouse is connected, but the external mouse is not recognized by the laptop.

I've tried adjusting the mouse settings and I updated the drivers for touchpad mouse.  Also, I just changed out the motherboard, because of a power jack issue, but there is still a problem with the touchpad - same thing was happening before and after the motherboard replacement. And I replaced the top cover of the laptop, which included a replacement touchpad.

Any ideas where to look next?  Could this be a virus issue?  Thanks!

Edited by fredsmythson, 02 April 2016 - 02:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fredsmythson

fredsmythson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

I just did some research on the Web about the touchpad problem.  There was someone who had a similar problem, and they temporarily solved the problem by unplugging the power cord from the laptop.

So, I shut off the laptop and unplugged the power cord and external mouse.  Powered up the laptop again using battery power and the touchpad started working normally again.  I then connected the external USB mouse and that started working properly. 

I then plugged in the power adapter with no power, and everything was still working normally.  As soon as I plugged in the power adapter to a power outlet, the touchpad and external mouse stopped working.

So, whenever the laptop is connected to an external power source, it creates problems with the touchpad and the external mouse.  If the laptop is running off battery power, everything works normally.

I've used the present aftermarket power adapter for a few years, and it never caused any problems.  The power adapter charges the battery normally.  I'll have to try another power adapter to see if it will solve the problem...  Thanks!

#3 KuLee

KuLee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

I am not an expert but i would look in the power options maybe some kind of power saving is the issue
i would try high performance setting in power options and also disable the USB suspend in advanced settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users