Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peripherals don't come out of Standby

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CThomp

CThomp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hello, all.  My first posting - due to fighting this issue for a couple weeks for a friend....

Windows XP Home SP3.

Originally, when the family went out, leaving the system on (and allowing to go into Standby), they would return home to use the system and find that while the system "proper" would fire back up, several of the peripherals won't come back on (printer, mouse, etc.).  I nailed these down to USB devices and checked the USB settings in Device Manager - turning off power mgmt for all hubs.  I then changed the system Power Options to turn monitor off after 30 mins and *Never* shut the system down.

These seemed to do the trick, as updates from the family let me know everything was working perfectly again - no hangups...  Until this week, when they fired off a text to tell me the problem was back.  I had them check the Power Options, to make sure something didn't get reset/reverted, and they are where I left them.

So having a hmmmmmm moment, and wondering if anyone out there knows of something to look at.  I'm thinking, next step may be checking/updating drivers for the peripherals, and/or the mobo drivers (as they would run everything else)?

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks much!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

My standard response to any USB problem...is to uninstall the USB controllers in Device Manager (only the items with "controller" in the description) and then reboot the system.  This should provide new USB controllers, which may be necessary because of corruption.

Louis

#3 CThomp

CThomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, hamluis.  Am on my way out there now to take a peek.  Will definitely try your approach and see what happens.  One of those frustrating issues as it happens often, but not *always*, so may not be reproducible while I'm there (wasn't last time).  Fingers crossed this solution "sticks".  Will report back.  Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users