Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did A Power Surge Fry The Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

A coworker of mine was working on her computer (data entry and such, nothing to overload the computer) when (this is what she told me) Windows popped up an error message saying there had been a power surge and to click a button for more info. When she tried, the mouse didn't work so she cut the power.

Now when the machine is turned on, the BIOS will start but will beep very rapidly and Windows doesn't even begin to load.

I connected the hard drive as a slave to another computer and was able to access the data thereon, so the drive wasn't affected as you might expect with a power surge.

Any ideas on whether or not the computer can be repaired and if so, how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:17 AM

Try clearing the CMOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

It's all moot now, anyway. My boss went an order her a [u]brand new computer[/i]!

Hello! I'm the guy who actually [i]needs[/i/] a good computer! I've been clunking along on this dinosaur for a year now with promises of a new one always around the corner.

I guess that's what I get for maintaining my PC; if you want a new one, blow yours up! Grrrr....

Sorry... thanks for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users