Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmentation on windows 10 please?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

How does this work please, or does it do it automatically on a laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

FROM THE WEB: (see info in below link for info on manually defragging)

Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

By default, Optimize Drives, previously called Disk Defragmenter, runs automatically on a weekly schedule at the time set in automatic maintenance. But you can also optimize drives on your PC manually.

This tutorial will show you how to manually optimize drives to defrag a HDD or TRIM a SSD in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to optimize drives.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

Think I'll leave it alone.

One thing I would like to ask instead of starting a new thread is:

When I shut down my laptop, the power button usually goes off. Lately I've noticed it stays on even after I have shut the lid and lifted it up again. Can you tell me if this is a problem? Thanks.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

That may involve the Fast Startup. I suggest Disabling Fast Startup regardless whether that is the cause or not. See info and images in link below for doing that.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users