Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK destroyed my PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Judge-Mental

Judge-Mental

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

Hi, I'm badly in need of help.

This morning I found my PC running a boot time chkdsk, recovering a load of "orphaned files". A quick Google search told me I should best leave it alone and let it finish, so I did. In the end it said there was 0 bad kb (don't recall the exact wording unfortunately), which I guess is good since it means my drive isn't on the verge of death, or so I hope.

However, once it finished and rebooted, I found that the computer is now in unworkable condition. Half my programs are corrupted/won't run, including basic things like Notepad. Even some integral windows features won't work, like Task Manager, Network and Sharing Center (it won't connect to the network either) and System Restore. It's almost like chkdsk took all the drivers and system files for all this and removed them.

The only other person to use the computer earlier in the day says it was working fine. I'm not sure how/why the chkdsk even began in the first place, though I suspect there may have been a power outage, dunno if that might've prompted it. I've run the command prompt sfc/verifyonly, which says there are integrity violations, but I haven't gotten around to doing sfc/scannow yet before I learn more about what could be done.

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone experienced something like this and is it possible to fix by restoring these so-called orphaned files using data recovery software? An easy fix seems like too much to hope for, but this is really frustrating so fingers crossed.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

G'day Judge-Mental, and Welcome to BC

I am probably not the best person to help you with this, however I am sure others with more expertise in this area will chime in later..

Do you have a backup on an external drive ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

If Windows flags the file system as dirty it will do a repair using chkdsk. Unfortunately if the file system is severely corrupted chkdsk can make things worse as you have found out. 

I would pull the drive and attach it to another computer using an enclosure or USB adapter. See this page on trying to recover chk files.

You may also want to scan the drive using a program like Easeus Data Recovery. I would also check the hard drive itself after trying to recover your files using Seagate for Windows.

#4 Judge-Mental

Judge-Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick replies!

Oops I forgot to mention some details... So my OS is on a partition of my main drive. As far as I can tell only the partition was affected, so my other files are okay/should be okay if I format/I also have an external drive I was going to backup to. I was just avoiding doing anything for now in case I messed things up any further than they were, heh.

Going to check out the links next opportunity I get (tomorrow), thanks for those! I'll check back in with results.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

You are very fortunate the OS was on a separate partition. After the backup hopefully the disk diagnostic checks out okay. Good Luck

After the OS install and once you get your programs installed I would recommend you create a disk image using Macrium Reflect or Aoemi Backupper, both are free. They will let you create a bootable CD or USB flash drive that can be used to restore a disk image to a clean drive or to a drive where Windows no longer boots because of a corrupted file system as was your case or because of malware. 

Macrium and Aoemi can let you recover the whole disk or just one partition of the disk from the disk image. Both let you mount the image as a virtual disk that lets you explore the image on the external drive and lets you retrieve any file in the image. Macrium's method of mounting an image is easier as it can be done by simply double clicking the image in File Explorer and selecting a drive letter as the virtual drive. Aoemi requires you to mount the image through the program itself.

Recovering a complete disk image of about 30GB can be done in minutes instead of hours doing a complete reinstall, reloading of programs, and updating the OS. Of course if your data is in the TBs then the image will take longer. As you already know, it best to have important data backed up to two locations and if the data is highly important one of the backups should be offsite. 

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

I just want to second JohnC_21's excellent advice to do backups regularly to an external hard drive.  Situations like yours can occur at any time, and you can have days of frustratingly hard work and/or expense if you don't have these.  I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for the last 5 years for backup, and it's worked very well for me.  It's free for home use.  Most folks here on BC seem to like the Macurim program but there are a lot of good free backup/restore programs out there, just be sure to avoid the one included in Windows.  It's buggy and unreliable.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Judge-Mental

Judge-Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

Whew, finally back in business so to speak. As expected, there didn't seem to be an easy undo, and even the System Restore was broken so I just reinstalled Win7 and went from there. Doesn't look like I lost any crucial data, knock on wood, which is nice.

Anyhow, definitely going to look into these backup programs now, thanks all for the advice!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad you still have your data intact. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users