Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Giving Free Security Suite?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter/ what exactly is the catch behind all of this. I recall reading a PCWorld article on AOL giving away free software and services; however, this seems a little to ridiculous to give away for free. Does anyone want to pitch in any warnings or something?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

Personally I steer clear of "security suites" as I prefer to have
seperate stand alone programs, as a so called "layer of protection".

And as for it being AOL well.... :thumbsup:

Note: You must have an AOL e-mail address to download this -- if you don't have one,
click here to get one for free.

Must have an AOL e-mail account??
Thanks, but no thanks. I'll pass on this one.

Just my 2 cents. :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 03 August 2006 - 11:59 AM.

Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:03 PM

AOL to make services free, end dial-up recruiting

Time Warner Inc. swung to a $1 billion profit in the second quarter and released details Wednesday of a long-anticipated plan to offer many AOL services, such as e-mail, free...Under the plans announced Wednesday, AOL will offer its software, e-mail and other applications free to any Internet user, and will encourage people who recently left to come back.

suntimes.com

This plan was talked about last month

Under terms of the proposal, which comes amid AOL's quickly depreciating subscriber base, AOL would no longer charge subscription fees to users with high-speed internet access or a dial-up service from another provider. AOL customers with "dial-up" internet access through AOL would still have to pay a monthly fee of as much as $26...

wired.com/news
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:35 PM

I felt a disturbance in the force. Like a million little script kiddies were struck dumb, but then cried out in joy.

http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter/ what exactly is the catch behind all of this. I recall reading a PCWorld article on AOL giving away free software and services; however, this seems a little to ridiculous to give away for free. Does anyone want to pitch in any warnings or something?

According to AOL they are doing this to increase their ad revenue.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

I received the following AOL email today:

Today we are announcing that AOL's software, email, and other compelling AOL features will be free to everyone who has an Internet connection...

Why Is AOL Doing This?

We're simply changing with the times. There are many options for Internet access, whether it's dial-up or broadband. At the same time, a lot of online content and services are now available on the Web free of charge because they are supported by advertising. So, while your Internet connectivity needs may change over time, what you love about the Web does not. We are now able to ensure that the familiar AOL experience, your Screen Name, your Address Book, your Buddy List, your Favorite Places, and other content and features you enjoy, will always be available to you for free....

Sincerely,

Jon Miller
Chairman and CEO
AOL LLC

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users