Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung NP470R5E-K01UB W10 Clean Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewWelch64

MatthewWelch64

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

I've been trying to get a fresh installation of Windows 10 on my laptop via bootable USB with Rufus, but nothing has been working for me. I keep getting the error message "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the computer's system volume. Error Code: 0x80070057." I have tried getting rid of the partitions on the hard drive, which worked but gave me the same error code when I tried to install W10. I tried formatting new partitions as well, but it gave me the same error. The way I formatted the USB in Rufus could be a problem, but Im not sure. I formatted it as NTFS and cannot recall if I did a GPT Partitioning for EUFI firmware for the partitioning scheme. Is this the issue? Or is it due to maybe a HDD failure? When it did first fail it gave me a "All boot options are tried" error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Rufus formats the flash drive as Fat32 (default). Use Fat32 and select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. 

You should delete all partitions on the drive. You can do this by pressing shift + F10 at the first install window in the image below to bring up a command prompt. Type the following

diskpart   -  will open the diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk X   where X is the disk you are installing windows on

clean              will delete all partitions

exit                 exits out of diskpart

exit                 exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install.

ximg_55ba103d62707.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

#3 MatthewWelch64

MatthewWelch64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Rufus formats the flash drive as Fat32 (default). Use Fat32 and select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. 

You should delete all partitions on the drive. You can do this by pressing shift + F10 at the first install window in the image below to bring up a command prompt. Type the following

list disk

Continue with the install.

ximg_55ba103d62707.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

I tried that string of commands a few times and the same error code still popped up.  Maybe it is an issue with Rufus since the USB drive was formatted in NTFS?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

That could be but I would also run a disk diagnostic on the drive if it still fails using Fat32. Did you also use GPT for a partition scheme in Rufus?

In the above set of commands I would also add the following - convert GPT

list disk

convert GPT   initializes the disk as GPT - Make sure UEFI mode is enabled and not Legacy or CSM boot in your UEFI settings

For doing a disk diagnostic use Rufus and the iso of Parted Magic here.Boot Parted Magic and double click the Disk Health icon on the desktop. Run the short and long tests. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI in order for Parted Magic to boot. If it does not boot then also enable Legacy or CSM boot. You can also pull the hard drive and use an enclosure on a Windows computer using Seatools for Windows to run a disk diagnostic.

#5 MatthewWelch64

MatthewWelch64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

I did not.  I will reformat the USB and see if the drive still fails in Fat32.  Ill run that command again with the convert GPT and see how everything goes and check out my disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users