Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard disabled???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shadhavarth

shadhavarth

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure if this should go under hardware, or windows 10... 

My friend has a HP 15-f033wm laptop, running on Windows 10 (upgraded several months ago). Two days ago the keyboard stopped working- first few minutes just the keys not working correctly (ie hits u and what comes on screen is ue, and so on). Her daughter tried turning on the on screen keyboard, and then they figured out that the computer wasn't accepting any input whatsoever from the keyboard anymore.

So... today I've tried enabling/disabling on screen, making sure filterkeys and sticky keys are not on. I tried updating the keyboard's driver, tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, etc. Nothing appears to have made a dent, nothing in the settings appears to make a difference, the laptop is not acknowledging the keyboard input at all.

Suggestions? These bleeping computer is driving us crazy - I'm not an IT guru by any stretch. I can find my way around to the basics but nothing in my google searches points to a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

Right-click the Start button and click Device Manager.  Now look at the Keyboard entry.  Click the > to the left and you'll see something like "Standard PS/2 keyboard".  Right-click that and click Properties.  In the middle of the Keyboard Properties window that you'll get, you should see a window that says "The device is working properly".  If it doesn't, it probably means you need to download the appropriate driver from the HP web site.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 shadhavarth

shadhavarth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:33 PM

I've already been through that screen, multiple times. It does say it was working properly. However, it is obviously not given that the computer recognizes zero input from the keyboard. HP doesn't offer a keyboard driver for this model on their website.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

It's possible a connector has come loose somewhere, hard to say without physically looking.  Alternatives are USB keyboards (you can get them under $10), Bluetooth keyboards (starting around $40), or possibly keyboard replacement.  It's pretty easy on my Dell laptop, you'd have to check with HP for theirs.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users