Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Does It Cost To Run My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hello i just want to find out how much it cost to run my PC. The input of the psu is 230V output is 350W. Im with EDF energy the cost is:

REGION First 900 kWh per annum* All other kWh
Ex VAT Inc VAT Ex VAT Inc VAT
LONDON 14.99p 15.74p 9.14p 9.60p

THANKS A MILLION!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

There is NO way of knowing for sure, NO formula for calculating for sure. But from estimates that I have read, the average computer and monitor cost $17 USD per month, or 2.5 cents per hour. Approx 150 watts per hour.

This cost could vary wildly depending upon usage and power saving settings.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

The PSU output is not constant but varies as the load of the computer varies. Then you have to factor in the efficiency of the PSU which varies depending on the load the PSU is under. Add to that that you presumably got a monitor, speakers, a modem, maybe a router, possibly a printer and so on, which also eat varying amounts of power. The you have to factor in the temperature in which all of this operates as that will impact their efficiency and so increase the power draw. Of course you can't forget the biggest factor, how you use the computer: What you do with it, when and how you leave all that stuff on and so so.

What you have to do if you want to find out is this: Get a watt meter and plug in in between the wall socket and the computer/monitor/modem/speakers. With the help of it you can tell how much power you've used in a month.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

cant be asked now. Had an argument with my dad now i cant leave the computer on all night. I was planing to do alot of downloading

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

As long as you turn the monitor off (you don't need that on for downloading), the cost should be no more than leaving a couple of 100 watt lights on. Figure .2 - .25 KWHrs/Hr.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:45 PM

One variable that wasn't mentioned previously is the fact that your computer and monitor will hibernate when they are inactive. It will continue to use a small amount of electricity.

There is a procuts call Kill A Watt that plugs into the receptacle, and you computer plugs into it and reads watts, or kilowatts.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sm/el...ity_monitor.asp

Once you have the kilowatts that you use just multiply that times your local kilowatt per hour figure.

Yes, a computer can be left unattended for long periods of time, but if it isn't working at folding or something useful, why leave it on? Every device in your house that has a low voltage control, LCD, or LED display is constantly using a small amount of electricity which adds up. Even you TV, you're probalby way too young to remember waiting for the TV to warm up, now days it pops on in an instant, that's because it never really turns off. It all adds up.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

A computer or monitor (and many other household electronics) use about 40% of their normal power in stand-by mode. If you need to leave your computer on for downloading, turn on a distributed computing program so all those unused computer processes don't go to waste, there are several available such as Seti@Home, Folding@Home, D2OL (personal favorite), and FightAIDS@Home just to name a few. But just leaving it on doing nothing isn't a good thing to do.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 August 2006 - 10:58 PM.

3939.png

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:34 AM

If you need to leave your computer on for downloading, turn on a distributed computing program so all those unused computer processes don't go to waste, there are several available such as Seti@Home, Folding@Home, D2OL (personal favorite), and FightAIDS@Home just to name a few. But just leaving it on doing nothing isn't a good thing to do.

Wasn't he after using as little power as possible? Those distributed computing programs leaves the computer running at full eating bucketloads of power. Shouldn't he have as little running as possible so he can take maximum usage out of power management features, like Cool & Quiet?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

Some computer systems don't have power management features, especially if they are several years old. The computer is on anyway and all of the components are running, often with no power throttling. The amount of power being drawn by distributed computing programs is small; some dist. computing programs allow the user to set the amount of processing power they use. The user can simply set this low to maximize on energy efficiency if they want to save a little.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users