Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Get More Ram?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markkerr101

markkerr101

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hi guys I just bought battlefield 2 and it says i need 512 mb of ram. i only have 510 i think that is the problem with it not playing. it starts and aborts. ?? is how do i get more RAM? I read something about me having to buy a chip. is that the only way???

thanks a lot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

Indeed you have 512 MB of RAM. There is no such thing as 510 MB of RAM. Depending on how you checked to see how much RAM you have installed on your computer it may have told you 510, that is not unusual, but in fact that means 512.

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

Also the only way to get more RAM is to buy the "Chip". But frist you got to run certain tests to make sure which type of RAM you need.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Go to Crucial.com and use their wizard to tell you what ram you need.

If the game says 512 min is required you need more - unless you want minimum performance. There are other aps using ram in your system so 512 really isn't adaquate.

#5 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

It could be saying 510 because the other 2MB is dedicated to something else. I mean sometimes A computer will report less because some of it was being used for the integrated graphics card, it went back up when I installed a AGP card. Anyway, installing RAM is pretty easy, HOWEVER make sure your computer supports more than the 512MB RAM, when I started installing this stuff I didn't know much about it, bought 2 X 512 MB RAM card and it didn't count it, found out later it didn't support more than 512MB. Also, if you only have two slots for your RAM you will need to make sure that they both aren't used. A lot of computers come with dual pairs of RAM so they both may be filled with 256MB, if your computer don't have more than 2 slots and they are both filled you will need to buy a bigger amount of ram to replace those chip already in there.

Since you want to play BF 2 It would probably be better for you to just replace them with 1 GB total new RAM Best thing to do is, check how much RAM your computer supports, check the speed and type of the RAM it supports (type meaning SDRAM, DDR SDRAM, etc..) and finally check to see if it supports dual channel, if so then it would be better to replace your RAM with two 512MB sticks of the same type (in fact the box usually will say 1GB 2 X 512MB). I hope that helps some, to find any of that information out you can call the manufacture of your computer :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users