Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Windows 7 from USB HDD Dock? (Ubuntu primary OS)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jerseydevil82

jerseydevil82

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

I wasn't sure which category this would fall into, Windows or Linux, but anyway, let me give some background on my question:

I am using a Lenovo T550 Thinkpad, I have Ubuntu 15.10 as the OS which was on the HDD from the other computer I had. The HDD that came with the Lenovo had Windows 7 installed on it. I also have a HDD USB dock and I am trying to run Windows from the USB dock but everytime I try to boot from the USB the Windows loading screen will pop up then crash after a few seconds. I swapped the HDD with the one inside and Windows will boot fine and run as normal... Infact I can even boot Ubuntu from the USB Dock... but for some reason it will not run Windows from the dock... Even when I try to boot from that specific partition of the HDD that contains the Windows OS. Does any body have any suggestions? Sorry if this may be the wrong category... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

No windows won't work over USB connections as its crippled by Windows being greedy

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

If you do not use the CD/DVD drive like me you might consider a HDD caddy.

Thanks to HDD Caddy it is now easy to add more storage space to your laptop or Macbook Pro! With HDD Caddy you can add a second internal hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD) to your laptop. No need to carry external USB hard drives or USB sticks anymore! It is easy to install. First insert your own HDD or SSD in the HDD Caddy and then replace your optical drive (DVD or BluRay drive) with the HDD Caddy. HDD Caddy is an ideal solution if you need more storage space or if you want to use a fast SSD with an extra HDD. Enjoy the flexibility of having more storage space. It is suitable for laptops like Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Medion, Toshiba and more.
Read more about what HDD Caddy is or Go to our shop.

https://hddcaddy.eu/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users